Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Aggressive driving tips

[ QUOTE ]
I just came back from a couple weeks in Lima, Peru where there's way too much traffic and everyone drives around like maniacs in little, beat-up cars.
It's possible d10 might be a conservative/safe driver over there.

Now if he starts talking about the directions on one-way streets being entirely optional then we can talk.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you mean like this? http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=traffic
Old 02-10-2007, 08:04 PM

actually, I think it's very much like that.
Not kidding. That looks REALLY similar to what I was riding in for the past couple weeks.

Except that in Lima they drive on the right-side of the road. and at some intersections the cars turning left are 4 or 5 wide instead of just 2 wide.
One time we were in the far right-lane but he decided we needed to turn left so we just cut across all 5 lanes of cars to get over there.

on a Friday evening it would be way more crowded than that video but would continue to just move right along.

All the cars have little or big dents in them. I'm really amazed that I didn't see any cars hit each other. Lots and lots of close calls though.

There were times when I was riding in the back-seat and my GF's Dad was trying to turn through one way and down another way through a lot of fairly fast moving traffic and I would just grab my GF's arm and say, "Okay, we're going to die."
It's nuts and I don't think there's any way I could learn to drive in that stuff.
not during the peak hours anyway.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:09 PM

Going around the world definitely teaches you that US drivers are cowards and have no skills. Everyone else seems to whizz around in crazy conditions.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:13 PM

I think driving is easy if you pay attention. People in US just have no concentration skills
Old 02-10-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Going around the world definitely teaches you that US drivers are cowards and have no skills. Everyone else seems to whizz around in crazy conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I knew ahead of time I was going to be getting this lesson first-hand.
But it was still an eye-opener and I kept thinking, "I'm the most conservative driver in the universe. And so are the rest of my fellow Americans."
Old 02-10-2007, 08:21 PM

I like standing on my gas pedal and rarely using my brakes.

This is probably why I have attended traffic school 4x in the last 5 years.

My last ticket was 110 in a 55 on the 8 in San Diego. I had to take internet traffic school which was a complete joke.

Ticket + Attorney + Traffic School + Court Fees = $250.

FYC
Old 02-10-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I notice that's like the key difference between a good/fast driver and a slow braker - if something bad is happening in front of you, what your first reaction? With a lot of people it's to slam on the brakes. With good/fast drivers it's to swerve around.

[/ QUOTE ]

[image]http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0348913/Ss/0348913/dead_like_me-d012-031-m.jpg?path=pgallery&path_key=Gayheart,%20Rebec ca[/image]
Old 02-10-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just came back from a couple weeks in Lima, Peru where there's way too much traffic and everyone drives around like maniacs in little, beat-up cars.
It's possible d10 might be a conservative/safe driver over there.

Now if he starts talking about the directions on one-way streets being entirely optional then we can talk.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you mean like this? http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=traffic

[/ QUOTE ]

Beautiful.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:06 AM

My first reaction is, what a jerk, but to be honest, I have used many of these tactics on occasion (I can't remember ever using an exit lane to pass, though. Not using turn signals, or using the turn signal only after you have committed to the lane change is something I do quite frequently, because, unfortunately, many drivers seem to think that it is their mission to prevent anybody from changing into "their" lane. My attitude is, if I signal for a lane change, I am not asking for permission to change lanes, I'm letting you know that I'm by God going to do it, so you'd best stay out of my way. Forcing my way into a lane is something I don't do to often, but sometimes it's necessary, if there is a forced merge, or very congested traffic in the right lane and I need to exit, it can become necessary. In general, I try to drive safely and courteously, but not to the point that people take advantage of me, and, if somebody wants to be an [censored] about letting me make a lane change, I can be a bigger [censored]. Driving too defensively can just be issuing an invitation to somebody to run a stop sign, cut you off, or whatever.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:51 AM

OP, your focus is in the wrong place. You need to think about your vehicle choice. Just get a sportbike like me and be done with it. There is no such thing as traffic for sportbikes and parking is a piece of cake too.