Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Boring 75/150 value bet or check behind

I think I know who you are talking about. 50ish short light hair usually wearing a cap and some kinda fanny pack thingy? He is a regular in the commerce 1/2.

I think your preflop cap protects you from getting CR'd on the turn with a draw since you will welcome him to 3 town so often on that board. However, he knows your type. You aren't the first internet hot shot kid who just got his ID that he has played against. He is in defense mode with AT/AJ or even AQ way too often to bet this river. One bet on the big streets is fine and I really doubt he calls the river with a pocket pair but I haven't actually played with him yet.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:10 PM

Pre-flop cap is fine it you really think it buys you fold equity later in the hand.
I would pretty much never bet the river as you get looked up by Ax hands and don't get called by worse hands. Otherwise, it looks fine.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I know who you are talking about. 50ish short light hair usually wearing a cap and some kinda fanny pack thingy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Different guy. He looked to be late 20s/early 30s, wore headphones, but they weren't very loud because he could hear everything going on at the table. Mentioned a couple times something about the Venetian going down the shithole and what I assumed was the 40/80 mix at Bellagio. As the night went on I came to the conclusion he was probably a bit better than I gave him credit for, but was probably still leaving some money on the table preflop and postflop. He was naturally still about 2 racks winner because of his great skill at flopping top set against my top two and riving trips against my two pair, hitting his straight draws when someone else has a flush draw and many more hands that a sore loser like me could mention.

At any rate, you were pretty much spot on as far as his hand, I checked behind and he had AQ.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd check the turn in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hated the idea of calling a river bet. Whenever I check the turn behind against a player that's not retarded I feel like we instantly get into the brain game of I know you know that I'm checking behind to call a river bluff so you won't bluff, but you know that I know this so you will bluff, except in reality I'm usually wrong about how deeply they're thinking and they just bet because they have an Ace. I'm not saying that it's the wrong play, if he is finding a fold with TT-QQ on the turn here then it definitely is the right play. I assumed he was incapable of a turn c/r on a flush draw, so that made me like a bet better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah it puts you in a tough spot when he bets, but you just call and move to the next hand. Look at it this way:

- He can have hands worse than yours that will fold to a turn bet, but will call a river bet from you or will bluff the river.

- He can have hands that are better than yours, and you lose a bet on the big streets either way.

- He can have hands worse than yours that will CR the turn and force you to fold the best hand. You stated that this is unlikely from this player so this point probably isn't important for this hand, but is in other similar situations.

- He can have a flush draw that will sometimes get there and you'll lose one bet, but you would've lost that bet anyways by betting the turn since he's not folding. Flush draws that don't get there you miss out on a bet, but if he ever bluffs the river this is negated somewhat.

So it's a balancing thing between the first point and the fourth point. Since the Ac and Kc are on the board, this decreases the chances he will have a flush draw, so I think this spot calls for a check.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:28 AM

I just check behind. I dont think he's calling with an underpair anyway you said yourself that you 4-bet pre-flop to get him to fold his underpair without a showdown. You should stick with your original reasoning.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:56 PM

Was it Jonathon? Sort of short guy, wears a hat always, has been playing the 75 the last few weeks but is a Vegas guy out in LA for the tournament scene. If so, he has an ace here for sure so just check behind and lose.

-DeathDonkey
Old 02-12-2007, 12:01 AM

No clue what his name was, but that description sounds about right.