Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 03:17 PM

Default hopeless bluff?

bay 101 20/40

two bad players limp, tight older gentleman limps, bad button limps, i complete 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the SB, bb checks. 6 for 6sb

flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
i bet, bb folds, two limpers call, old guy raises, button folds, i 3-bet, both limpers fold, old guy calls. HU for 7bb

turn is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
i bet, old guy calls. i plan to bet a non 8/7/3 river. good, bad, or horrible?
Old 02-10-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: hopeless bluff?

What makes you so sure you're bluffing? And what hand are you trying to fold that beats you?
Old 02-10-2007, 03:26 PM

What is betting the river going to accomplish? You described older gentleman as TIGHT, if he's on a draw and misses, he's not going to call. If he has a better hand, he's not going to fold on the river. Betting any river would be horrible.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:40 PM

i'm not sold that there's not a reasonable chance you have the best hand given the board. plus, you have trip pairs! that's gotta be close to as good as a FH in my book.

as far as the river goes, you're betting a non8,7,3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]? i don't think i would like betting a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] river.

outside of that, since i operate under the delusion that there is no such a thing as a bad bluff, just calling stations that are bad players that don't know when to fold, i think it's a semireasonable plan. our options are: good, bad, or horrible? what if i think it's mediocre?
Old 02-10-2007, 03:47 PM

I'd play it the same and then check/fold the river. Old guys generally don't take shots at you on the river. Something like 88/77 is calling the river if you bet the turn.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What makes you so sure you're bluffing? And what hand are you trying to fold that beats you?

[/ QUOTE ]

of course i'll be ahead some of the time, but i'm trying to get him to fold 88/77 or a rivered pair. i'd never try it against most people but against this player i thought it might be worth a shot.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

of course i'll be ahead some of the time, but i'm trying to get him to fold 88/77 or a rivered pair. i'd never try it against most people but against this player i thought it might be worth a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think 88/77 will ever fold, and the only rivered pair I could see him folding is like a 3.

That said I don't think I mind betting here much, but more for value and getting to win without a showdown. Unless you think this guy is straight forward enough that you can check/fold, but those kinda guys are rare.

Edit/ Can he ever have A5 or 75 or something like that which will either be beating you or chopping with you on the river? If you think he can fold those sometimes it makes betting even more appealing, sort of as a value bluff/blocking type thing.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can he ever have A5 or 75 or something like that which will either be beating you or chopping with you on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not from a "tight" player with only two limpers and 3 left to act. Not even suited. Not unless he was getting real bored and losing his "discipline."