Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 05:38 PM

Default Looking for some interview advice

So i have my first job interview on Monday and having never had a real professional interview im not sure who to expect.

I just finished my masters degree and have not worked in roughly three years due to poker. I am interviewing for a financial analyst position. So basically im wanting to know:

-What types of questions will they be asking?
-What do i need to take to the interview?
-I have a Hit and Run - fixed object that i got from sliding off the road into some landscaping and abandoning my undriveable car until the next day. When i went to get my car towed the next morning it had been impounded etc. I wasnt even aware i was supposed to phone in this kind of an accident. How do i explain this?
-I have hardly any references except a college professor here or there. If this comes up what are my options?
-If my work gap comes up how should i answer? Simply saying i wanted to focus on school might look bad since i only got a 3.2.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Looking for some interview advice

What kind of financial analyst? The q's will vary widely based on that.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:42 PM

Really not 100% sure its basically a corporate finance job that wasnt clearly defined through the job ad.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:43 PM

Um, find out. What kind of company? Investment bank? Commercial bank? Corporation's finance department?
Old 02-09-2007, 10:30 PM

Wichita, I wouldn't worry that much. You probably won't do your best since it is your first interview, but they get much easier after the first couple. I wouldn't mention poker, but that is a personal preference. Your education will speak for itself, so as long as you don't crab up in the interview, just be yourself.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:35 PM

(1) work-gap: say you were self-employed and ran a small business of somekind. they can't verify this. might also make up some restaurant jobs; turnover in that industry is so high that managers don't stay in the same restaurant for very long. if they ask you for a phone #, give them a friend's # and have him pretend to be a manager there.

(2) references: use friends phone #'s and have them pretend to be your coworkers or customers from your self-employment/restaurant days.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:29 PM

If you were in grad school you don't need to explain a work gap. Be prepared to give specific examples from work, school projects, volunteer work etc. where you demonstrated the skills you think they are looking for.