Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Re: The Well: B00T

Terencerock you will be broke before you know it. Even parlaying a couple together here or there and you will probably regret it in the long run. This includes NBA and NCAA ball.

-Brendan
Old 02-09-2007, 12:33 AM

Thanks brendan,
Thought the outcome would be something like that just checking to see what the outcome would probably be.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:17 AM

what was your name on party ?
Old 02-09-2007, 02:48 AM

my name? I had quite a few... My most recent one was GRUMPERZ. That was the one I played a bunch of S+G on. What was my ROI? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2007, 03:19 AM

bOOt,
Have you ever considered stock or currency arbitrage?
Really, arbing sports and arbing stocks can't be much different.

What were your superbowl wagers?
What do you say is your employment status on your 1040?

1c5,
About, nhl arbs: It's hard to do because there are so few 10 cent lines. It is possible to guess which way lines will move to get some arbs on pinny's early lines. But info is key in hockey, and a lot comes out of morning skates.
In my experience, a combination of canbet/wsex/sia/pinny made for some opportunities. I know this because I never cashed out of Canbet. I scalped out when they gave me a hard time cashing out.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
bOOt,

1c5,
About, nhl arbs: It's hard to do because there are so few 10 cent lines. It is possible to guess which way lines will move to get some arbs on pinny's early lines. But info is key in hockey, and a lot comes out of morning skates.
In my experience, a combination of canbet/wsex/sia/pinny made for some opportunities. I know this because I never cashed out of Canbet. I scalped out when they gave me a hard time cashing out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Arbing securities or currencies has one major difference: Time. A sports arb has a definite ending time--at the end of the game. A market arb can get stuck in no mans land and tie up your money for long periods and sometimes can never turn a profit if prices don't move outside your collar. Opportunity cost can be high and you can also lose your transaction costs if your trade never makes it outside the collars.

The currency markets are also alot more sensitive than any sports lines. There are no stale currency markets, lol.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Terencerock you will be broke before you know it. Even parlaying a couple together here or there and you will probably regret it in the long run. This includes NBA and NCAA ball.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought parlaying with +ev would compound your edge, just as it does for bookies when they have the adge.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bOOt,

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no such thing as a currency arbitrage. Currencies trade $2 Trillion a day, 6 days a week, globally. To make more than money market returns, you must take risk.

Stocks, you certainly can, although true 'arbs' are very few and far between. There is ALWAYS deal risk, DoJ risk, SEC risk, and fraud risk.

Bond arb you can make real money at, but need several million to start.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

bOOt,

[/ QUOTE ]

Najorf answered your stock type questions. I would of referred you to him anyway to answer any such questions. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My only superbowl bet was a $100 6pt teaser on the Colts and the Over. A few of my friends were making the play so I just hopped on it with them so when we watched the game I could be on it with them.

As for a my return, I have an appointment with an accountant the first week in March. He will tell me what I need to do this time around. Most of my income is from scalping, unlike previous years where I had a more clear-cut job. We'll see what he says.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:39 PM

Najdorf,

You seem to know what you are talking about. One of my clients has been purchasing stocks on the TSE. Our firm can trade foreign on the foreign exchange, but if the trade settles foreign, they usually wack the client with some sizable fees. Many if not most of the foreigns that don't have adr's have a symbol that trades on the bulletin boards. I think softbank from tokyo was SFTBF.(I don't want to give the symbol I'm talking about for confidential reasons)

Anyway, point is the client noticed that after accounting for the exchange rate, there was still a difference in the price of the stock. I haven't actually computed it, but I have to imagine there are arb opportunities like that.

I don't know if you could just open a canadian equity trading account if you're a US citizen(we don't do well with canadians at my brokerage), but if so, it shouldn't be that expensive. I'm also not familar with the logistics of settling this trade since in essense you would be long one security and short the other. Also, if you're not a hedge fund, you can't short it in the first place. I may have to call a friend of mine that has a hedgefund and pose the question to him.

Anyone reading this for ideas, understand this was just an observation I made over the last few weeks. The actual application may be impossible due to trading rules, availability or liquidity of the security trading here on the bulletin board or cost of converting shares(delivery, etc)