Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Penalties for splashing the pot

You can't identify the bet amount? They didn't make a bet and have to properly bet the proper amount AGAIN. The previous money is a dead money bonus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you make them put in the whole bet amount? Even if you can't tell which chips are theirs, it's obvious they put something in the pot.

How about the edge splash? I'm talking about when someone doesn't throw their chips right into the middle of the pot, but they throw it towards the pot so it reached the edge of the pot with their chips spread out. Perhaps they declare a bet of 4 chips and you might be able to visually identify 2 or 3 chips that came from them and from the sound you can tell it was more than 2 chips, so you are sure they put in at least three chips. Would you insist they put in just one more?
Old 02-05-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about the edge splash? I'm talking about when someone doesn't throw their chips right into the middle of the pot, but they throw it towards the pot so it reached the edge of the pot with their chips spread out. Perhaps they declare a bet of 4 chips and you might be able to visually identify 2 or 3 chips that came from them and from the sound you can tell it was more than 2 chips, so you are sure they put in at least three chips. Would you insist they put in just one more?

[/ QUOTE ]

If they insist on not following procedures as explained to them repeatedly? HELL yes. A few times of having to put in an extra 20-100% will cure that foolishness right on up!
Old 02-06-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We dont do tourneys so time penalties wont really work.

[/ QUOTE ]
penalties would get your point across if you chose to take that path. Even though the player isn't losing any chips while sitting out, if they are here to win or have fun, they won't be doing either and they wouldn't like it...or he could just be, "i'm going out for a smoke, see you guys in 10 min" and come back and not care...
Old 02-06-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't identify the bet amount? They didn't make a bet and have to properly bet the proper amount AGAIN. The previous money is a dead money bonus.

[/ QUOTE ]
While you may not be able to identify the bet amount, it is obvious they bet something--and it is usually obvious they bet about the right amount. How can you reasonably ask and expect someone to put in the whole bet amount again? I'm talking about a friendly home game here. If your talking about something else then please specify.

How about counting down the pot to verify the amount of the bet?
Old 02-06-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While you may not be able to identify the bet amount, it is obvious they bet something--and it is usually obvious they bet about the right amount. How can you reasonably ask and expect someone to put in the whole bet amount again?

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't properly read my reply to you- I'm not, necessarily. Look at "20-100%" again.

However, before I detail that... are you trying to discourage/end the splashing practice, or not?

My main concern in these types of situations is to avoid causing conflict, not worry about the letter of the law. If someone is deliberately ignoring their obligation to the home group, to keep things running smoothy and quickly, then screw them. They don't give a fig about anyone else, why worry about "fairness" to them?
Home games have a limited duration of play and often don't meet more than 2-4 times a month. The environment of a home game might be the most important element of its long-term survival. Conflicts over needless stupidity only risk breaking up the game.
Why be a dick and screw up the game flow, just because you want to show off?

In a home game, of COURSE I'm not advising draconian rulings... unless previous allowances are being ignored. If, as the OP indicated, people are intentionally ignoring the "stack your bet" rule, then fine them. If they want to continue to splash the pot, I'll take the extra pot odds from their extra penalty makeups.

Now, the details- Any amount that goes into the pot is part of the pot, not the bet it was supposed to be part of. If four red are thrown and one of them ends up in the pot, you might let it go with a warning the first few times.

If idiotboy refuses to conform, then they have $15 of a $20 bet out there and must make up the difference. It doesn't come out of the pot- the pot isn't their money until they win the pot.

"If you can't pay the fine, don't do the crime!" Sure, you can easily identify that one chip (or three chips, or the entire stack) supposedly went into the pot... but the point isn't to allow a "fair" determination of the non-missing amounts.

So, you repeatedly splash the pot, you start having to make up the chips that you are splashing. Only the easily identifiable chips- the ones still in front of your cards- count towards the required bet amount.

If you start having to put in an extra 70% of a bet, I'll ENCOURAGE you to splash the pot. Of course, I expect the most hardheaded rebel to surrender when he figures the vig % of his entertainment.... or when his raise is turned into a call because the required raise amount isn't in front of him, where it should be.

"How about counting down the pot to verify the amount of the bet?"

So, you'd like to punish EVERYONE with a needless delay, because some idiots are idiots?
Old 02-06-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The home game I play in has just grown in the last couple of months. We are now expierening the chip splashers, who think its cool to splash the pot no matter what they bet. Whats a good remedy for this problem without pissing off to many people?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uninvite them.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:01 PM

You gotta nip this crap before it starts, and if someone's annoying, they don't have to be allowed to play. Those who are cool and enjoy a good game will appreciate you stepping up and taking care of things politely but sternly. Once it grows bigger than just a small gathering of friends, order must be maintained. Rule with an iron but benevolent fist, and your subjects will fall at your feet.

Or just say, "hey, knock it off already."
Old 02-09-2007, 07:12 PM

If you're not the host, there's not much you can do except talk to the host privately and see if he's willing to do something about it.

The only times we've had a problem with this is with new players. They don't know any better. They also are some of the best donaters to the game - so we cut them *some* slack. First time it happens, we tell 'em "Hey, would you mind not splashing the pot? Makes it hard to keep the pot right." Most of the time, this is enough - the rule makes sense, and unless the guy is a total jackass, he'll understand.

If a player keeps doing it, we'll stop the game and reconstruct the betting to make sure what the bet is. Yeah, it slows the game down, but the splasher has to sit there with the other players glaring at him for stopping the action.

If it continues after that, the jackass receives a permanent uninvitation.