Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 12:37 PM

Default QQ in BB late in tourney after 3 all-ins

Live $25 NLHE tournament. 28 players started, 10 left. This is the first hand at the final table, and the other 3 players involved were not at the table I was moved from, so I have no reads on any of them. Stacks range from 7,000 to 32,000, but most are 10-15,000. Blinds are at 1,000 and 2,000.

UTG goes all-in for his last 7,000, 2 folds, the next player thinks for a few seconds and then goes all-in for his last 8,000, folded to big stack in SB who instantly pushes all 32,000 of his chips in. I have 9,000 left after posting by BB, and I look down to see Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. My first impulse is to push, but I am trying to improve my game by resisting impulsive play and actually thinking through situations like these.

I reason that UTG is about to be eaten up by the blinds, and if he is savvy at all, he could have made his move with almost anything. Similarly, the next player is under pressure, but since he called instead of acted first, he probably has some kind of hand, even if not as good as my queens. The big stack worries me. He insta-pushed, which he may have done just because he was big stack and it only cost him 7,000 to contest a pot with 18,000 already in it, and he may have reasoned that his move would make me fold, and even if I called, it would only cost him 3,000 more (11,000 total) to see a 37,000-chip monster pot. Even if he lost, he'd have 24,000 if I folded and he lost to one of the short stacks, and 21,000 if I called and he lost to me. I figured that he probably has at least a fairly decent hand (maybe a middle pocket pair or an A with a solid kicker) but since I don't know him, I really have no idea what to put him on.

With no info on the other players, it was hard to put them on hands, but I figured something like KT for UTG, A9 for the first caller and 88 for SB might be reasonable, although they could easily be either much stronger or much weaker than that. I didn't know the exact odds, but I figured I was probably about 40% to win against that group of hands (I ran QQ against those hands when I got home, and oddly enough my guess turned out to be almost exactly the right odds if they had held those hands). I knew that if any of them had AA or KK, I was in huge trouble, but I figured that was pretty unlikely, so the question was, did I want to play for my tournament life there as the probable favorite, but likely less than a 50% chance to win. If I called and won, I would be chip leader, but if I called and lost, I would be done. If I folded, I would be down to 9,000, and in the SB in the next hand.

What would you have done, and why?

Old 02-09-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: QQ in BB late in tourney after 3 all-ins

If 1-3 pay, then I think you have to push here, esspecially if there are antes. It's too strong a hand to let go and you're very short. Over cards are likely to be duplicated to a degree and big stack is doing this many worse hands.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:52 PM

Even if you knew one of them had AA, KK which is very far from likely in this hand you still get 4 : 1. so its definitely a call in my mind.

i think your analysis on their hand ranges is pretty good. Even though the big stack should turn out fairly strong QQ is still way ahead of his range.

whatever the case it was a good call at least in my opinion.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:55 PM

I should have mentioned pay-out. Only 3 places paid: 1st $280, 2nd $168, 3rd $112.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:03 PM

The chip leader is trying to isolate to take out 2 players, hoping noone else wakes up with and hand. At 40% to win against 3 other players, you have to make this call, you're short stacked and very lucky to get this hand in this situation... EZ call every time.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:09 PM

You've got an M of less than 4 and QQ. How can you even consider folding? Very easy call.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:13 PM

UTG's range is any 2
1st caller's range is 22+/Any Ace/KJ+
Big stack has 55+/AJ+

You have 4.5 bbs.

This is a really easy push
Old 02-09-2007, 02:25 PM

Definite push.

I think UTGs range is very wide (22+, any A, K9+, QJ+)
I think UTG+1 has a smaller range (55+, any A, KJ+)
I think SBs range is very similiar to UTG+1. He can afford a loss, but if he wins he knocks 2 out and takes a big chip lead.

Also if these guys do have genuinely good hands they may share 2 or 3 Aces and leave themselves with very few outs against QQ. I certainly wouldnt be worried about AA or KK. If they are out there ... lifes a biatch!