Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Homeless people / panhandlers

This was an interesting story in Toronto several years back - a panhandler who pretended to shake badly to get people to feel sorry for her - then at the end of the day she would go home to her fancy apartment and big screen TV:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margita_Bangov%C3%A1
Old 02-09-2007, 11:31 AM

I know some panhandlers won't take food because they are afraid the food is tainted.

If I have some change, I might give. There's nothing wrong with giving them money so they can get a drink for the night. It's obvious that your little gift isn't going to change his life around, so nothing wrong with giving them a buck or two so he can get a burger or a 40.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:33 AM

There is also the phone booth trick. The person pretends they are on the phone and asks you "do you have some change? fast!"
Old 02-09-2007, 12:14 PM

A few years back I had a pretty cool roommate. One day we went to the store to pick up some groceries. On our way in we ran into a panhandler asking for some money. My roommate turns to the guy and says, "I work hard for my money. Show me that you're willing to as well. I'll be in the store 20 minutes. If when I come out, you've picked most of the trash in this parking lot, I'll give you $20". The guy actually got pissed and turned him down. I pretty much stopped giving at that point.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After I left the hospital I started using the magic cigarette trick to connect with street people in a meaningful way.

[/ QUOTE ]

You use tricks to connect with people in meaningful ways? Perhaps we use the word "meaningful" in different ways.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:26 PM

being a NYer I see way to many of them to give any of them cash. Singing Homeless, Dancing etc you better be damn good. The one legged guy who did a back flip, ok he got a dollar.
Also sometimes they will hold a door open for you at places, I then give some change , thats just tipping for service IMO.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:42 PM

I very rarely give money to beggars. When I do, it's a function of my own mood and situation rather than anything they do. I've offered money to talentless buskers to stop, generally to no avail. Bagpipers are the worst. Especially at Christmas time.

I was reduced to begging on the streets of Dehli for about a week once. It's a revelation how much you can make as a foreigner in India but it really feels bad doing it.

Another begging story. There was a guy who begged just around the corner from Suddah Street in Calcutta. He was a misshapen, twitching wreck laid out on a blue tarpaulin on the pavement and people threw down coins as they passed. I used to pass him every day and wondered how he got there and why no one stole the money. Returning to Suddah Street one night in the rain, I wondered how he would be faring. He was sitting smoking a beedi on the steps of a nearby building, seemingly fine. I was mildly outraged by this subterfuge but the Bengalis were of the opinion that he deserved his wages because lying prone twitching and jabbering all day in traffic fumes to enable passers by to feel better about themselves was worthy work. It's probably as worthy as anything I've ever done.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:48 PM

Probably Pittsburgh's most recognizable panhandler/bum:

Bill Dorsey

Guy has an absolutely incredible voice. Really kind. Has a couple of friends who help him out with getting from place to place. Article is excellent.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:05 PM

Pretty much never give money.

In part that's because where I live, there are no homeless (suburbs ftw) and where I work most of the "homeless" are just kids killing time wanting bus money.

This sounds horrible, but the only times I've given people change is when it was in my hand and it was easier to give it to them than put it in my pocket.

I have spend more time talking to the "out of gas" guys that I would have liked. Now I'm pretty good at blowing them off.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
After I left the hospital I started using the magic cigarette trick to connect with street people in a meaningful way.

[/ QUOTE ]

You use tricks to connect with people in meaningful ways? Perhaps we use the word "meaningful" in different ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 'trick' is a path, a shortcut, a process. Why do the means in this context undermine the end?