Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2006, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Basketball prop bet

Yeah, dude, this is lame. It's technically ok, but it's not in the spirit of the game. If one of my buddies did that to me, I wouldn't be making bets with him in the future.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:31 AM

The key to victory should have been the swish shot. You should have taken off from 8 feet, called swish and finger-rolled your way to victory.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:41 AM

The OP is taking way too much heat for this. He offered his challenger far more sportsmanship than she had coming, and still won. The challenger knew she got beat "fair and square", and paid off without complaint.

The OP had more weapons, and used them. Why shouldn't he? If this were volleyball, would it be "lame" to for him to spike, just because his opponent was unable to do so? If this were tennis, would it be "lame" for him to hit the ball 100 mph, because his weaker opponent could not? If this were 9-ball, would it be "lame" to run the rack, when matched up against an opponent who lacks the skill to do the same?

She didn't ask for a handicap, so she doesn't get one.

Anyone who thinks he should've deviated from the optimum strategy, just because his opponent was female, doesn't know anything about winning.

(I can't believe I made it through that analogy paragraph without mentioning p*ker.)
Old 02-14-2006, 04:48 AM

YouTalkFunny - while it's true this girl took OP up on the bet, it doesn't mean this wasn't a douchebag move.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't play basketball, nor Horse.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, let me explain again for you: HORSE is not a game that tests overall basketball skills. This isn't a game of one-on-one. It's a shooting contest. Your tennis and volleyball analogies would make sense if this weren't HORSE.

[ QUOTE ]
He offered his challenger far more sportsmanship than she had coming, and still won.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the f does that mean? "More than she had coming"? Anyway, the point is, if this girl was stupid enough to take a 1 game HORSE bet (not the best out of 3 previousy discussed) and let Randle dunk... yeah she's not that bright and took a losing bet.

Maybe I have a soft spot for women, or maybe I'm just not a douchebag, but I wouldn't feel good about winning the bet this way - taking advantage of some chick's stupidity AND bending the commonly accepted rules and spirit of a game, to get there. If you didn't read OP's summary of what went down:

[ QUOTE ]
But fortunately I won the coin flip for ball possession and then executed my strategy, and as a result I am now $500 richer. I feel kinda scummy but we discussed the rules beforehand and she is not mad at me I don't think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, even OP felt scummy afterwards - think what he did makes him feel like a "winner" for using what you call "the optimum strategy"?

Randle - dude, this post on top of this one... that's some great judgment you're showing there. Anyway you mentioned you "felt scummy" afterwards. Uh, yeah maybe there's a lesson in here somewhere...

-Al
Old 02-14-2006, 06:31 AM

I thought you couldn't shoot from the same spot twice?

Also, how was she missing from spots where he was dunking from?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If she has a problem with these rules beforehand then she is a pussy and doesn't want to play fair

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like the pussy with your chickenshit strategy.

Drop the bet to $50. Let her win. Have sex afterwards.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:42 PM

"I hear your mom's going out with Squeak!"
Old 02-14-2006, 01:08 PM

She's 5'9". The angles make what are 99% shots for him like 90% shots for her.

Also, I guess she agreed to the rules so whatever and for all I know OP needed the $500 to buy his children wine, but dunking in HORSE? WTF? Did you play defense too?
Old 02-14-2006, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, let me explain again for you: HORSE is not a game that tests overall basketball skills. This isn't a game of one-on-one. It's a shooting contest. Your tennis and volleyball analogies would make sense if this weren't HORSE.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, it's a shooting contest. He picked a spot on the floor, and took his shot from there. HE DID NOT INSIST THAT SHE DUNK. All she had to do was make the shot from that spot on the floor, which is what you are saying is exactly in line with the rules and spirit of the game.

He did everything he could to make the shot: he used his height, and his ability to jump higher than the rim, to his advantage.

You think he should not have used those things to his advantage, because his opponent did not have those abilities.

IMO, failing to use those things to his advantage would be EXACTLY like a tennis player refusing to hit the ball as hard as he could, or a volleyball player refusing to spike.

If I were challenged to a golf match by a girl (let's say she's a PGA pro, to keep it in line with the Div.1 baller in the OP), and I could drive the ball 50 yards further than she could, would you suggest that it's "lame" of me to use my biggest clubs?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He offered his challenger far more sportsmanship than she had coming, and still won.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the f does that mean? "More than she had coming"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on the Simmons/Shaq post above, I thought it would be reasonable to insist that she duplicate any dunk the OP made. OP instead told her, "just make the shot from that spot". This was a concession to which I don't feel she was entitled.

It now seems that more posters who frown upon dunking have spoken up, so I'll retract the "more than she had coming" line.

But I stand by the opinion that jump-shooting is ok in Horse, even if you can jump higher than the rim, and even if your opponent cannot. And even if you take the above-the-rim shot from point blank range.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:41 PM

360's.

Edit: I cant believe you guys who are on a gambling-related website, are ripping on the OP for winning. I would have given her 2:1, as long as I got to choose the ball. then I would have brought a small beach ball and played on a windy day.