Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 07:47 PM

Default help me with my project, earn $5

Hey guys-

I'm doing a project for a mechanical engineering class of mine, and basically I am building an aluminum box to hold two decks of cards (like the ones that come with kem and copag cards), except hinged and with a way to easily remove the cards. This is a major project, and it is expected to be professional, so this is not something I'm half-assing. We have to use SolidWorks to model it, machine it using mills/lathes/sand-casting/etc, so this is not just some project I'm throwing together at the last second. It's expected to be something that we could actually sell and use for years.

Long story short, after I anodize the aluminum (treat the surface) I can etch a design onto the lid. My favorite hand is Ace Jack of spades, so I was thinking it'd be pretty cool to have this etched on the lid. This is what anodizing a black aluminum object looks like:

I need to find a good picture, though, and this is where you guys come in. I want a nice, clear picture of two cards, the ace and the jack of spades, layered on top of each other. Sort of a combination between these two:

Preferably the image wouldn't be as narrow as the one on the right (the box is wider than tall, obv). A prominent ace of spades (the one in the middle of the card) would be cool. Obviously I want something stylish and cool, and that will look good being etched into a black surface (silver etching on black). The best picture found wins $5 on pokerstars (sorry, PS only). If only one person posts a picture (that is actually the ace-jack of spades and usable), they will still earn the $5 even if I don't use that picture.

Also, I need to buy a new pack (2 decks) of cards for when I present my project. The person to find the cards that I use also wins $5 (again, PS only). I have to actually use this deck in order for the payment to be made. Requirements: deck MUST BE poker sized (3.5 inch by 2.5 inch), preferably jumbo sized pips (although not required), and plastic (ie KEM or COPAG or similar brand).

Thanks guys! I promise I won't grimstarr you (or does grimstarr refer to losing 250k in flips now?). If the perfect image is posted right away, I'll end the contest then; otherwise I'll choose the best picture / deck of cards on Sunday.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:33 PM

Default Re: help me with my project, earn $5

Five dollars?? I'm unemployed and I laugh at you.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:42 PM

Old 02-08-2007, 08:55 PM

Old 02-08-2007, 08:57 PM

Old 02-08-2007, 08:57 PM

Old 02-08-2007, 09:09 PM

1) buy a deck of cards or twenty for variety
2) take photos, or employ one of your art major friends to take them for you (they'll do it for ramen noodles, they're always starving lolz)
3) photoshop it to make it look good for etching

you'll have much more luck doing the photo yourself, since you can arange cards to have the exect LW ratio and angle that you want

also buying a ton of decks of cards to see which one looks the best is super inexpensive
Old 02-08-2007, 10:42 PM

I'm not even sure reading your post was worth $5, but GL anyway.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:00 PM

This is much cooler.

another shot as requested.

Ship the monies to Blackdog633
Old 02-08-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also buying a ton of decks of cards to see which one looks the best is super inexpensive

[/ QUOTE ]
well, this would be true if i was buying normal cards. but i want the kem/copag type cards that i can use with this case - buying 20 packs of those would cost like 400 dollars. i suppose i could buy some of the cheap ones just for the presentation, but i'd rather not - i want my case and cards to be a set, of sorts.

[ QUOTE ]
Five dollars?? I'm unemployed and I laugh at you.

[/ QUOTE ]
haha, okay. offer upgraded to $10 (for both the picture and the cards (again, only if i use the cards)).

[ QUOTE ]
3) photoshop it to make it look good for etching

[/ QUOTE ]
i have no photoshop skills or else i'd do that... hmm perhaps i should ask my friend... he'd do it for free, lol.

so far GoRedBirds is winning...