Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2007, 02:59 PM

Default Re: I play tight

[ QUOTE ]
As you move up you'll get floated a ton IP by aggro villain's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Second barrell?

I said tight preflop, not postflop.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And let me state the obvious:

By playing tight I am in less pots with the worse players and therefore not able to take as much advantage of their mistakes as a looser player.

I'm not defending my style here; only merely discussing its advantages/disadvantages. If anything I want to play a looser game as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

willing to try baby steps?
- open raise SC's in LP and play poker on the flop
- open raise mid pocket pairs from any position
- raise 1-2 limpers with SC's and mid-pocket pairs in LP
- on the flop... cbet liberally, but use hand reading skills, reads, flop texture, etc.

Maybe just incorporate one of those ideas in for the next session and see how it goes. You'll find the game much more fun to play. You'll find yourself winning lots of small pots, and you'll find more action on your big hands as well. It is important though to usually cbet when you hit the flop as well.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:01 PM

On a funny little tangent...

If your stars s/n is the same as your user name then I have you a 24/11/1 over 405 hands ha ha!

My stats at NL50 and NL100 over 160k hands are 15/8/1.25 for comparrison.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

By playing tight I am in less pots with the worse players and therefore not able to take as much advantage of their mistakes as a looser player.

I'm not defending my style here; only merely discussing its advantages/disadvantages. If anything I want to play a looser game as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think playing your table and opponents is better than _always_ playing tight per se. Gregor had some good comments though.

I would add that if I'm at a very aggressive table I will tend to tighten up quite a bit in early rounds and not play SC/low PP... it does help your image a lot later when the blinds are up and you start stealing.

If I'm at a table where everyone is calling pf and there aren't players who keep re-popping it pf, I think you're missing value by not playing any SC/PP (esp in later position) and probably raising with them.

Also, if villains are:
Loose - I value bet more often, c-bet, rr pf much less.
Tight - c-bet more often, will also raise pf with more hands and c-bet them (with only a few callers).

I guess this is fairly obvious, but I think sometimes we get too constricted to one style instead of adapting to players.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:05 PM

ive got him at 11/7/2 over 400
Old 02-08-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this style wins some uncontested small-to-medium pots and loses contested big pots, even if you have hand reading ability.

A couple of points:

1. I like the 9/4 player to be to my left, so I can steal blinds all day. He's not going to be in enough hands for position to matter much - I'd rather be in position against looser players with whom I will be in many more hands.

2. If re-raised by the 9/4 player, I can easily dump my hand.

3. The 9/4 player tends not to bluff. If he hits on the flop/turn, you'll know and if he doesn't you can typically push him off his hand when a scare card hits.

In most cases, the extremely tight player makes a 9 player table play smaller.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- on the flop... cbet liberally, but use hand reading skills, reads, flop texture, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this was the kind of advice I was looking for when I started the thread.

-I do open-raise SCs in lp religiously.
-I normally don't open raise mid PP (88 and down) in early position (but I do so in MP)
-I normally play SCs and any PP in position against limpers. I seldomly raise and can do this some more.

I don't understand why my stats look so nittish. It seems to me like I play more than they suggest. I don't get it.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe just incorporate one of those ideas in for the next session and see how it goes. You'll find the game much more fun to play. You'll find yourself winning lots of small pots, and you'll find more action on your big hands as well. It is important though to usually cbet when you hit the flop as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea -- this is gold for any small stakes NL game IMO.

There was also a good thread for this a while back on Small Stakes that showed clearly that playing these hands this way and winning many small pots is much more profitable than limping/calling with them (in attempts to win a few large pots). If you're good postflop I think this adds a lot of value to your game.

As I said earlier though, I slow down with this type of play if the villains are worse (either stations or overly LAGGY).
Old 02-08-2007, 03:10 PM

Maybe it's just how you ran for the month... from other posts I've seen by you before it looks like you know what you're doing.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think that you'll find that good players will get out of your way with hands that are dominated. I'll happily play a suited connector/gapper/small PP against very tight players (particularly in position) like you where I have a very easy decision on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

applies both ways though. what makes you think a nit is going to pay you off the rare times that your sc's hit. if you're simply c/f'ing to a cbet then its pretty easy to lose ev by doing this.