Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2006, 01:49 AM

Default Re: Senior CIA Official: Bush Lied

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I read it twice. Your position differs little from what I hear in mainstream Dem circles; first Bush must go. Fine, you have a goal but it's not actionable in any serious sense. You can't look me in the eye and say 'We can do this and this and this and America will be improved'. You do little more than focus on something you can not change. That's borderline insanity.

Until Dems find something to bring to the table that is not simply 'Bush Lied!' mainstream America will not grant you power.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never understood this position.

All the time I hear people responding to criticism of GWB's policies with "well, the Democrats don't have a better plan." This is silly. To me this is like if I were walking down the street with GWB and somebody runs up and says, "Quick, what is 894,842 times 903,346?" and I say "I don't know," and GWB says, "four." Who is smarter? Me for admitting I don't know, or GWB for bluring out the first goddamned number that pops into his head, even though it is clearly wrong?

I would rather listen to/be lead by someone who admits the issues/solutions are complicated and that answers are not obvious than to somebody who has an answer that is clearly incorrect.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:50 AM

Default And not just Berkeley

[ QUOTE ]
The reasons we entered Iraq are not important issues ... to most of America.

[/ QUOTE ] What do you mean by that?

Do you mean that the American people do not consider the war to be a big deal? You would be wrong to think that. This war is going to affect tremendously the attitude of Americans on foreign policy. (USA Today : "This war is probably a really big deal historically in terms of America's perspective on the world," says John Mueller, a political scientist at Ohio State University. "What you're going to get after this is 'We don't want to do that again — No more Iraqs' just as after Vietnam the syndrome was 'No more Vietnams.' ")

Do you mean that Americans do not care one way or the other about the reasons the U.S. went to war? That would logically mean that Americans support the war no matter what the reason is! However, this is NOT the case. The American people are approximatelky evenly split as to whether or not the decision to go to war in Iraq war correct in the first place. (Polling Report : "Do you think the U.S. made the right decision or the wrong decision in using military force against Iraq?" ANSWERS 2/1-5/06: Right Decision 51% ; Wrong Decision 44% ; Unsure 5%.")

I do not think your claim is anywhere near correct.