Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Re-raising A2s preflop...

[ QUOTE ]
...is the new re-raising AA2 preflop.

it's pretty frigging annoying and seems to be catching on with all the fish too.

/end rant

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the deal with davebreal raising every time I limp? Every fricking time? AM I THAT MUCH OF A FISH?!?!

And raising all in against my pot bet, with deep stacks, on a river of X X 8 4 2 with just A 2 3 x, and getting quartered against my A 3 8 x ? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

/rant
Old 02-07-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Matusow\'s article

Matusow's article was kinda cool if you ask me. A donk would read it and think there is actually something to it. A wannabe would read it and find it preposterous.

I took it as a lesson in advertising -- Mouth will get lots more action after showing that, especially after bragging to the world about it.

4bettting that hand is about a 1 in 10000 shot, but if the circumstances at the table are right, and it will help your image, I think it's worth it for tilt value.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Matusow\'s article

my first thought was it was a joke. i really thought that Mike was just advertising this so ppl wud bring this into cash game play (the hand was an MTT hand). after further consideration i think that mike actually meant what he was sayying, and actually thinks this is correct

funny thing is, Mike is one of the better LO8 pros around. so this wud b like Ivey sayying 4bet (4s7h)Tc in stud lookin at action from an A, Q, and K.

i dunno, im still confused on the whole thing. very odd
Old 02-07-2007, 11:26 PM

i cant speak for all of you, but i think most of you omaha guys are still living in the past. you think these holdem players translate theories to omaha that just dont apply. news flash, people used to coldcall in limit holdem all the time back in the day and with the advancement of strategy in the new poker age, noone coldcalls anymore because the good players think its wrong. well the same might be somewhat true for omaha as well. maybe these holdem theories really do apply. of course, there are reasons to coldcall in omaha that dont exist so much in holdem, so maybe some theories dont smoothly translate, but that doesnt mean they dont translate altogether.

i personally believe that mike posted that article to make people worse/metagame, but i do think there are definitely times to jam high hands preflop in omaha, and if his hand had another broadway card in it instead of a 2 then i definitely think not capping is a mistake according to his perception of what cards the other players had.

and i agree dave, its really annoying when the fish start playing better.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Matusow's article was kinda cool if you ask me. A donk would read it and think there is actually something to it. A wannabe would read it and find it preposterous.

[/ QUOTE ] Truthiness24 - Whatever you think of someone playing KQ92, (let alone making it four bets before the flop for value), the notion of estimating the possible ranges of flops, and playing accordingly, based on the hands you think your opponents have deserves serious consideration.

Let us classify cards as belonging to one of four categories:
• aces,
• kings, queens, jacks, tens. (honor cards)
• nines, eights, sevens, sixes. (middle cards)
• fives, four, treys, deuces. (wheel cards)

Pull the four aces plus most of the wheel cards out of the deck and you have a stub enriched in middle cards and honor cards.

You’re still probably going to get killed if you play middle cards, because there will be probably be a smattering of high cards scattered amongst the aces and wheel cards of your opponents, along with some middle cards - and you may well be up against a nut flush or nut flush draw after the flop. An all middle card hand may increase in value, but it probably still stinks.

However, a hand with high cards, even just a couple of high cards, like KQ92, increases in value, especially if you are reading your opponents correctly and can successfully bet them out of the pot if they all get an unfavorable flop. And if all the aces are held individually by your opponents, nobody can have a pair of aces and your king rules supreme as the best card with which to make two pairs, the most probable winnner.

[ QUOTE ]
I took it as a lesson in advertising -- Mouth will get lots more action after showing that, especially after bragging to the world about it.

[/ QUOTE ]Probably true. I think there’s a deeper lesson (as discussed above).

[ QUOTE ]
4bettting that hand is about a 1 in 10000 shot

[/ QUOTE ]No it isn’t. If we give each of four opponents an ace with a suited wheel card plus a back-up-low wheel card and leave the other space in Mike’s opponent’s hands blank, despite giving up every possible flush, KQ92 scoops over 26%, and if we include high only splits with low or another high, KQ92-rainbow has an equity of 28%, with the other four hands averaging 18%. That’s as simulated with all hands played out to the showdown. Actually Mike’s hand should fare even better, assuming he can bet his opponents out of non-fit flops. If he has correctly put his opponents on cards, Mike, holding KQ92, is actually a substantial favorite.

[ QUOTE ]
, but if the circumstances at the table are right, and it will help your image, I think it's worth it for tilt value.

[/ QUOTE ]That too.

Buzz
Old 02-07-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
funny thing is, Mike is one of the better LO8 pros around. so this wud b like Ivey sayying 4bet (4s7h)Tc in stud lookin at action from an A, Q, and K.

[/ QUOTE ]

These two things literally could not be more different.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:58 PM

how is cappin a random 4 card (semi-hi)hand OOP against hands that have u face [censored] in a tourny a good play?

ill aggree that the game has changed. not just LO8, but poker as a whole. the games have become aggressive and its become raise>fold>call, which i dont believe was really as prevelent back in the day. this is why older 2p2 books dont really pertain as much to todays poker. Advance Holdem by Sklansky is a prime example. quite a bit of that book advises raising in spots where, if that same raise was made today, there wud b no FE, and u wud prbably face a raise. the game has changed from weak/tight to loose/aggro.

i will aggree the game has changed, but i dont kno why u are stuck on thinkin that u can carry over almost all of ur LHE concepts to LO8. they just dont translate the same.

thats my 2c. feel free to fire back
Old 02-08-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These two things literally could not be more different.

[/ QUOTE ]

how so? both are throwing away bets on long shots. they are actually almost both the same exact thing. (cuz in the stud example ur not gettin 3b into without at least one of them havin a pr on the spot)
Old 02-08-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
while we are bitching, if i see one more idiot raise out the blinds in a limped around pot, im going to bash my [censored] skull into a blunt object. DO U HAVE SUCH A LACK OF UNDERSTAND FOR THIS GAME THAT U STILL THINK RAISING FROM THE BLINDS IS A GOOD IDEA WITH ZERO FE IN A PL GAME? honestly, i think 1/2 these kids have had their frontal lobes removed. its just stupid.

and yet, i can run like death donkey over and over, and watch any card that improves my hand, kill my hand. THANKS POKER!

/rant

(also, remember, the 5th rr pf is always J973)

[/ QUOTE ]

I like raising from the blinds....

/insert creepy smile
Old 02-08-2007, 02:42 AM

u and the other 95% of our pond, which btw, is dried up like woah