Old 02-07-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Ex-NBA scrub Jon Amaechi is gay

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is this a non-story to anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]
You are pretty base if you consider this to be a non-story.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a non-story to anyone who isn't a homophobe.

[/ QUOTE ]

why couldn't a non-homophobe be interested in the reactions of various nba folks to this news?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not what I mean when I say it's a "non-story". I just mean that to me it's not important and isn't worthy of discussion (could be I'm misusing the term). That isn't to say I won't be watching the reactions the same way I'd stare at a trainwreck.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is this a non-story to anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]
You are pretty base if you consider this to be a non-story.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a non-story to anyone who isn't a homophobe.

[/ QUOTE ]

why couldn't a non-homophobe be interested in the reactions of various nba folks to this news?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not what I mean when I say it's a "non-story". I just mean that to me it's not important and isn't worthy of discussion (could be I'm misusing the term). That isn't to say I won't be watching the reactions the same way I'd stare at a trainwreck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Homer...it's worthy of discussion precisely because it's worthy of discussion, if that makes any sense. That is, even if you are someone for whom the sexual orientation of professional athletes holds no import, the fact that there are people who care about this sort of thing (and the fact that there are so few openly gay professional athletes in part because there are people who care about this sort of thing) makes it a story.

So when you and TSC say it's a non-story, I was assuming you meant that it doesn't make a difference to you if John Amaechi is gay. But that's something different than saying it's not newsworthy. Am I understanding correctly?

-McGee
Old 02-07-2007, 04:36 PM

Amaechi, a centre who spent five seasons with four teams, is scheduled to appear on ESPN's Outside the Lines on Sunday, and his autobiography "Man in the Middle," will be released Feb. 14.

Sometimes they just write themselves.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:37 PM

well, to me its a non-story.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:43 PM

I think it's a story because we are another half inch closer to the first active male pro player coming out.

I also found the Cold Pizza thing amusing. Stevenson, (who likes underage girls if I remember correctly) was doing his best to answer the question without calling him a liar or a [censored].

He told Dana something like, "I don't want to say nothing bad about an ex teammate so I won't comment at all."
Old 02-07-2007, 04:43 PM

It should be a non-story. I really don't care who's gay or straight. Unless Amaechi asserts in the book that his being gay shortened his NBA career because of what players, coaches, organizations did to him.

The first openly-gay, active player, and then the first openly-gay, active superstar will be stories. Hopefully then it can die off.

When any person can do anything and has done everything -- regardless of race or sexual origin or whatever we use to divide ourselves -- that will be a great day.

A black coach has won the Super Bowl. Awesome. Now coaches can just be a "coach" and be judged on their merits. Eventually it will be enough that Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith are great coaches and, by all accounts, great people.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:46 PM

A super star coming out would be amazing. Doubtful something like that would ever happen though.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:48 PM

In related news, I just found out that the former assistant pizza delivery boy at my local Papa John's is gay! The book will be out next month.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently being the first brit in the NBA wasn't cutting it.

He will be on OTL discussing it this weekend.

link

[/ QUOTE ]
Saw this a few hours ago and nearly posted the thread but I didn't think it would get any responses - primarily based off of the fact that he was a relatively unknown player to the average fan. In fact, the only reason I thought about posting it was self-interest - I played pickup with him a few times when he was at my gym in Phoenix. If he wasn't the nicest, most articulate athlete I've met, he certainly belongs somewhere in the discussion.

So if this MUST be an issue and the gay community feels like championing this story, then I would say they have a pretty good spokesperson.

(Noodleman, not saying it's a bad thread, just saying I thought it would have sunk like a rock.)
Old 02-07-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well, to me its a non-story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, and I don't even know what he meant by "base"