Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 04:00 AM

Default KQ flop trips - Line Check

Villain is 15/10/5 over 125 hands

My question is what to do on the turn? His call / lead line seams like a blocking bet so I put him on some medium pair and as a result was happy to let him build the pot as I slowplayed. Is this not a good spot to do this, If I raise I allow him to fold many of these hands? What about the river? I have to raise right, it seams like I vastly underrepresented my holding. Let me know how my thought process is.

Ultimate Bet
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50./$1.
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: $117.75
CO: $302.05
Button: $97
SB: $97.65
BB: $101.45

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $3.5</font>, 2 folds, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($8, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $6</font>, SB calls.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($20, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $11</font>, Hero calls.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($42, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $18</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $97.25</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB calls all-in $77.15</font>.
Uncalled bets: $2.1 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: $232.3
Old 02-07-2007, 04:03 AM

Default Re: KQ flop trips - Line Check

The flop c/c and turn lead is often a 77-TT type holding. THis guy probably 3-bets AK pf so unless he has 55/33/66 you should be good.

I don't think there is much value in shoving the river though. What hands besides KKK+ would you call-call-raise all in with? I can't see villain having KJ/KT here as he's pretty tight so I think if you get called you are losing to a full house or underplayed AK. I can't tell if his river bet is a blocker or a vlue bet but you needn't raise either with your hand. Just call the river.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:06 AM

Looks okay. Obviously raising turn is standard, but if you think he's testing the waters with a hand like 77 and will fold to a raise calling isn't terrible. You're going to get it in on the river vs. a weaker king anyways, so it's not like you're killing your action by slowplaying.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:14 AM

KingGordy you really think this guy has a weaker king often enough to raise? He's 15/10! I don't think that includes calling raises OOP in a heads up pot with Kj/KT
Old 02-07-2007, 04:51 AM

Yeah now that I rethink the hand pushing the river didn't make much sense. This seams to be a real leak in my game. I get into a situation where I had a good hand but don't think about what the ramifications of making the re-raise and the fact that he is unlikly to call with any worse hands.

Does anyone have a set thought process they follow, that they use basically everyhand, so they don't forget to take into account all the factors before making a move? Cause like in the situation above I think most of the hand out and then come back to reality see the trips and make the push. Please help me out here.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:32 AM

Pushing the river makes complete sense. Your hand is underrepped. If looks a lot like you feared a K on the turn and called trying to spike a flush draw and you missed. 77-QQ could all take this line against you, decide there was a good chance you're bluffing enough times to look you up getting over 2:1 on the call

I agree that it's doubtful he is in here with a worse king but nobody plays like a robot. He certainly could've called with KTs or KJs. To be honest though, his line doesn't scream "K" to me. It really looks like a pp 55-QQ. Again though, i dont know if he'd continually miss out on that much value on every street with a boat.

If you posted your image it would help. If you are an aggressive player who plays a decent amount of hands raising is a good play. As far as he is concerned on the river, your hand from his point of view looks a lot like AK/boat/air, and with the missed draw coupled with his weak bet, he shouldn't have much trouble calling you down with pretty much any pocket pair.