Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 08:26 PM

Default Card dead again!

Played about 3 hours of LHE Live today, split between a little 2/4 but mostly 3/6. I am on a real bad card dead swing the past few months and was wondering how some of you deal with it. I probably don't play as many hours as a lot of you do(about an avg. of 8-10 hrs live per week)but I'd like to hear from a few of you who hit bad card streaks like this and what you do to get through it. I have not fallen victim of getting so frustrated that my starting hand requirments have gone to hell so I know that I have the discipline to win. It gets tough when you get only 3 low-med pairs in 3 hours, no suited connectors or even 1 or gappers and only AJo a few times. The other 2 hands that I played were K9s and KTs on the button with no raises in front of me. Not to sound too whiney, but with sessions like these, is the most that I can get out of them Not spewing too much $ and practicing reading and hand skills? I guess minimizing my losses at times like these? I am def a TAG type of a player. I know not to play J8o UTG like everyone else was doing, and cold-calling raises with it as well. This table was your typical loose passive 3-6 like most of them are. This is kind of typical 3-4 hour session for me lately. Hopefully I'll get smacked by the deck some time soon cause I am way over due! Any thoughts tips or comments are welcome
Old 02-06-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Card dead again!

i usually just read bbv and it makes me feel better.

but in terms of play in a real loos passive game, i would just try to play more mult-way pots when you can get in cheaply preflop, even with relative garbage, so you can win a big pot now and then with J8o (but yea, not from utg).
Old 02-06-2007, 09:10 PM

Yea, I suppose I could play a few more hands, but my better judgement( and my study of the game via SSHE) tells me not to play the hands that most of these guys were playing. You know the type, he gets in Q4o in EP, limps, cold calls one, flop comes 2 overs, on an unpaired board with a 2 flush out there ,he calls all the way down, pairs his 4 only to usually lose with his pair. Athough he occasionally wins a hand but it never seems to make up for all those loose stupid calls that he makes. Why even call with this hand in the first place? Help me out here. Should I really play some of these trashy kinds of hands in multi-way pots? I just can't bring myself to do it because I think it is just spewing off even more than the $75 or more I lost just in blinds today in a 3+ hr sesesion. Is this correct? sounds wrong to me
Old 02-06-2007, 09:11 PM

PS. Dont get me wrong, I want bad players at my table calling with these types of hands, just not me doing it is all I guess.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:19 PM

Just be patient, basically.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:23 PM

i dont know if its just me, just the live games i play in, or just incorrect strategy, but if i'm on the button, and there are like 6-7 limpers in front of me, i'm playing a TON of non-premium hands just to connect on the flop and take a big pot. Sometimes i see these real tight players at real loose tables and they get so mad at the guy who raised 56s from middle position and cracks his aces, but i see that tight guy making a lot of "mistakes", too, like not completing his SB when there are like 8 people in the pot! In my opinion, you have to take more multi-way flops when the game is so loose and the pots get built real fast. Just play good post-flop.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:28 PM

I agree that patience is a key ingredient to be a good player. I know I have patience because I have been facing this dead run for a few months now and haven't gotten careless at all with my calls etc.

Just heard from a friend of mine who had a really bad home game dead run of cards for about 8 hours str8. It ended up getting the better of him and he started playing carelss and scared and ended up losing quite a bit of his $. He is a much better player than I am but he succumbed. He knew it too and was pissed at himself afterwards. I'm not waitin gfor AA every other hand, just some hands to play. but I'll guess that I will keep waiting if need be.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:44 PM

Yeah there really isn't anything else you can do. You have to be pretty in control of yourself psychologically but that's what's required, really.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i usually just read bbv and it makes me feel better.

[/ QUOTE ]

really, I read it and I get depressed, so many people making sick monies.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:32 PM

I can see completing most of my SBs when there are a lot in the pot, but what about to raises with garbage in the SB to always call anything just because 7 are in on the hand? I can also see opening up on the button but what about bets saved here and there? Are they not valuable?