Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 12:23 AM

Default Re: WPT: You hit it BIG, friends ask for money?

[ QUOTE ]
if you wanna be nice just go to a nice celebration dinner and pick up the tab.

[/ QUOTE ]

word
Old 02-06-2007, 03:36 PM

when i made the final table of the WSOP main event. I offered to pay my friends and family back for their flights and hotel rooms and not 1 person accepted my money. Thats what real friends do, there not out there in hopes of getting a free trip out of it. If anyone told me they would come watch the final table only if i gave them something for it that would be really freakin lame
Old 02-06-2007, 06:25 PM

CrazyPianist-- Um, who were you cheering for?
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
This sounds to me like one of those "letters" to Savage Love where the guy has a "friend" who has an STD problem...

No offence of course, because naturally I am incorrect. Right?
Old 02-06-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when i made the final table of the WSOP main event. I offered to pay my friends and family back for their flights and hotel rooms and not 1 person accepted my money. Thats what real friends do, there not out there in hopes of getting a free trip out of it. If anyone told me they would come watch the final table only if i gave them something for it that would be really freakin lame

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are you?
Old 02-06-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

judging by the name, I'd say Dan Nassif
Old 02-08-2007, 02:43 PM

If you are an amateur player and this is just a fun thing to do and you want to show off for your friends or just be nice then hey, whatever you think is best. Planes, meals, hookers. But if you are a pro this is income and needs to be treated as such. Would you ask the same question to a sales person from Dell who just landed an account to sell the government 100,000 computers and is primed to receive a huge commission? I doubt it. Sure, party, celebrate and pick up the tab. But the cash is income -- income you may need a few years down the line to live.

Also, who really NEEDS a cheering section? This is more of a question out of curiousity then a dig. Are you going to play worse if you don't have family and friends at the final table with you?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:21 PM

I think it'd be a little awkward if "friends" would ask for a handout. I couldn't imagine that happening anyway.

When I chopped the Sunday Million a few weeks ago, my "celebration" spending was:

- A bar tab for 2 friends and I that I hang out with biweekly or so = ~$175
- Dinner for myself, my sister + husband, my fiancee, and her sister = ~$250
- Barhopping with 10 friends or so, and I picked up the tab at the first spot we hit = ~$250
- And I haven't done this one yet, but I plan on taking my parents out for a nice dinner as well = ~$300

All of it I wanted to do, and it felt good to treat people that I'm close to. But I couldn't even fathom people asking for handouts or anything. I'd do the same thing in the future though - any time I have a 6-figure score, I have no problem celebrating with ~1-2% of it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] But it would certainly have to be on my own accord.

If I ever make a big live final table, I'd probably use that 1-2% to offer to reimburse friends and family that flew out to see me. If they refused (as I suspect they would), it'd go towards dinners, drinks , and other entertainment again.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetical situation:

You make the final table in a WPT main event. Need a cheering section right? So you fly your friends and family over. You're guaranteed six figures at least and seven figures if you get first.

How likely do you think it will be that friends/family will ask for some money, a new car, etc? Obviously the higher you cash, the more likely. How do you approach this situation? Obviously, you want to show your gratitute for them showing up and supporting you. But do they really deserve cold hard cash for flying over on your dime and sitting back and watching you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

... I recently won a fair amount at a tournament, and the only person who's complained about $ was my mother in law... i can live with that.

buy beers, get food, help out those who need it a bit, live large.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:27 PM

nice dinner and bar tab or something. No need to give away your money, tell them you need it for higher stakes games cuz u wanna progress ur career further.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you wanna be nice just go to a nice celebration dinner and pick up the tab.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feels a bit like this is expected, I mean if you win 700k and your home town crew comes out, isn't it silly if anyone BUT you gets the tab that night?

I'd deny any straight cash give aways, ideally try to treat them to some type of "day". Spa, whores, golf, maybe buy them all into some small-medium tournament running the next day, something they can report home about for themselves, especially if its things they would like to do but won't/can't spring for.