Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 01:04 AM

Default I\'m being squeezed, but am I being squeezed? Nightly hundred grand.

In the money. I should have a tight, aggressive image. Villain is very solid and observant.

Edit: mp2 is of no concern, he might be playing any junk. I am drastically ahead of his range.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB (t6760)
UTG (t3985)
UTG+1 (t25985)
Hero (t19756)
MP2 (t27689)
CO (t16142)
Button (t23910)
SB (t27784)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2400</font>, MP2 calls t2400, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t10440</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero ????
Old 02-06-2007, 01:13 AM

Default Re: I\'m being squeezed, but am I being squeezed? Nightly hundred grand.

AQs too strong he has lots of worse pairs getting about 2 to 1 on the shove if you lose you still have 12bbs to work with and couplwe hands till BB hits you.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:15 AM

Default Re: I\'m being squeezed, but am I being squeezed? Nightly hundred grand

[ QUOTE ]
AQs too strong he has lots of worse pairs getting about 2 to 1 on the shove if you lose you still have 12bbs to work with and couplwe hands till BB hits you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sb has me covered, his reraise was not all-in.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:18 AM

Default Re: I\'m being squeezed, but am I being squeezed? Nightly hundred grand.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hes saying this is a shove.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:16 AM

right but hes wrong in stating 'if he loses you still have 12 bb'. If deeb knows that it may change everything.

This is an interesting spot. I probably find a fold here a lot, unless your sure he can squeeze here with weak hands 15%~ or more(v. rough estimate) of the time. Honestly, villain has to call your push, right? Seems more likely then, that he is reraising legit, since hes almost always calling your push(correct me if im wrong). Additionally, folding here leaves you in a fine position. I know your getting 2 to 1 but I don't think your giving up too much (in fact i think if your a good player, your in a spot where your edge still plays if u fold) by letting this one go.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:47 AM

Man, screw the hundred grand tonight...

As for this, if this guy is a good player, then any hand he would raise with would have you beat. I would fold. You're probably beaten by the villain, and even if you're not, you may not think MP2 is any good, but he still is in the hand and acts behind you. Even an idiot can get kings or aces and bust you. If he weren't in the hand still, it would be a tougher decision.

AQ is nice, but your chip stack can easily take a 2400 chip loss and move on. If you think you're a top player at the table, a fold in that spot is even better.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As for this, if this guy is a good player, then any hand he would raise with would have you beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

No! All good players are familiar with the squeeze play, which means, the player pulling the squeeze doesn't need to have a top hand. We know for sure that Villain raised enough to lay himself odds that he simply cannot resist if Hero pushes. If Villain knows that Hero is a good thinking player, he could do this with a hand that Hero has beat. He hopes, despite making the squeeze, that due to stack sizes, Hero will eventually decide he's up against a monster and muck. If Hero pushes, he will still call with his inferior hand, hoping to catch. In case Hero wins, Villain still has chips to work with.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:24 AM

Its an interesting hand and one that needs to be thought about clearly. I am the same as OP in that im not worried about MP2 very much given his reads. If he had AA-KK he would most likely raise, AK is a possibility but agains its not as likely as alot of other hands he could have. He probaly has 44-JJ suitcons or some trash like K-J

The raise in late position looks very scary and I would look at it in several ways.
1: He has a big hand AA-QQ or AK he has you crushed and is betting for value thinking you cant put down a hand.
2: He has a good hand but a vulnerable one 99-JJ and wants to end the hand now and get the money thats in the pot.
3: He is running a bluff or semi bluff with trash or suited connectors/low pair.
All of these are possible but only case 1 you are scared of.

The problem is if he is a thinking player he is either thinking hero is a tight player Im glad I picked up these AA or I couldnt play. Another problem is you have opened with about a minimum hand for a 'standard' raise from your position. In which case he could put you on a much stronger hand and you have to fold.

He could be thinking I'll make a squeeze play unless he has AA-KK he will have to put this hand down. If he has AA-KK he will let me know with a big raise all in.

After thinking this one through I would be inclined to fold and wait for a better spot to get my money in. You still have a healthy stack and keep playing your game and make the final table.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:38 AM

well, youre probably behind in this particular hand. Muck makes sense. Only way i push this is if i have seen villan make big reraises earlier. If this is the first time ive seen him so it, easy fold.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:41 PM

After thinking about this for awhile it seems like a trivially easy fold. At the time, it was the only "tough" decision I had faced all tournament. I had to dip into my reserve timer before I folded.

Either:

a) I'm a slight favourite if he's squeezing with a hand like 78s

b) I'm coinflipping a hand like JJ

c) He holds one of the hands that totally dominates me.

I believe that there's almost no chance he's doing this with a hand that I dominate (weaker ace, KQ), and I also believe that the hands that dominate me are a greater part of his range than the hands I'm a slight favourite against.

At the time his raise to 1/2 the effective stack size confused me because he knows that I realize my push would commit him, and this made me think he chose this bet size to maximize his fold equity.

Methinks I outthunked myself.

Easy fold.