Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2006, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Building a Bankroll For Newbies, SnG Version?

[ QUOTE ]
technically, you can't "build a bankroll" with SNG's because the most any site will give you back on your tourney fees is 100%. the reason low limit ring game whoring works is because there are bonus structures that pay you more than the attributed rake you give back to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that SnGs could take advantage of the bonus whoring as well. One SnG = so many raked hands. Is this incorrect? Bonus whoring is definitely in my plans for building a bankroll. I had planned on following MrWookie's guidelines to a tee, just substituting low-level SnGs for low-level ring games? This not viable?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you dont have a large bank roll you shouldnt be playing SNG's because the highest sustainable win rate at a single- table SNG is somewhere around 35-45%, youre better off building it up in a low limit ring first.

[/ QUOTE ]

But isn't the general rule for Sit and Go's to have 50 times the Buy In to minimize your risk of ruin, just as it's 200 times the Big Blind to minimize your risk of ruin in the ring games? I'm going to be starting off with 200 times the Buy In.(A $200 dollar bankroll starting at the $1 SnGs I was thinking, unless someone knows a better strategy.)

Also, the thing is that my game is geared to No-Limit play. I can make a lot more money at No-Limit SnGs because I have gotten decent at laying odds, which of course doesn't factor in much at ring games.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This makes no sence. If you play $25 max NL-ring and sit with $25 and play for an hour (about the length of a SNG)a reasonable expected winrate might be $3 for about an 12% return (thats 12BBlinds/hour (likely >10BB/100 in PT terms)which seems pretty good). A decent SNG player at the 20s can easily achieve 20% ROIs with fairly low varience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, would you have any (and all [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) suggestions for the Buy-In level to start in for someone having a $200 dollar bankroll?

My skill level I would estimate as decent to solid. I've played mostly play money games, but lots and lots of them at the highest limits, where you'd assume the competition is somewhat better. I've also played 4 real money $1 SnGs over at Royal Vegas, and I've come in the money, and come in 1st, all 4 times. (Not that I expect that win rate to continue... unfortunately.) In the play money games, I come in the money way over 50%. I tracked it for a little while and it was over 65%. Talking to some other play money players, I've built up winnings in 6 months that it took them years to build. But most importantly, imo, is that I do all the reading. I go through poker book after poker book, learning as much as I can from them. And I plan to keep doing this.

So, having a *general* idea of my skill level, and knowing my $200 bankroll, would you have any recommendations for how to proceed initially? What Buy-Ins, or how many SnGs a day, or how many at a time, or bonus whoring, or really anything at all you'd like to offer, since you seem to be somewhat more optimistic about the possibility of starting off in SnGs.

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that being said, you still want to save as much on SNG fees as possible. the highest percentages of tourney rebate via bonuses I know of are as follows:

Poker Stars (100%)
Bodog (100%)
Pokerroom (71%)
Pacific (55%)
Full Tilt (42%)

however, the only way to guarantee a profit playing SNG's in the long run is to WIN some.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for this. It was very much appreciated.