Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 02:31 AM

Default Re: What do you like about the State?

Militant Mike is an AC and only a high school education (says his information)
Old 02-06-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and that it is unquestionably true

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still waiting for the source that says ACists hold degrees in very high numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, you will find quite a large number of them at these links.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, well I could link you to a list of every person who graduated with a masters or better last year, and I'll wager a very large proportion of them are statists.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I wouldn't dispute it.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and his accomplishments are in a field that's rather disassociated from economics and political philosophy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're moving his goalposts, since he never specified anything about the fields the degrees would be in.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The problem that ACists never admit is that non-states can just as easily evolve into oppressive states with time as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That appears to be one of the major unfounded assumptions of anarchism, namely that the state is necessarily a more efficient means of oppression than what enters the picture to fill the power vacuum without it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your fallacy is assuming that a power vacuum is a *necessary* result of the removal of the state.

This certainly *would* be a result of removing current states in a sudden, unexpected fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're not claiming the state is the most efficient means of extracting value on its organizational scale?
Old 02-06-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and his accomplishments are in a field that's rather disassociated from economics and political philosophy.

[/ QUOTE ]

And it would be nearly impossible to make the same achievements in those fields, considering that he is an anarchocapitalist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay? That doesn't really have anything to do with what I said. And there are plenty of ways to make worthwhile academic achievements in economics and political theory while being an anarcho-capitalist.

If the implication is that there's some kind of institutional bias against anarchists that prevents them for finding success in academia, understand that your argument just went from "ACists are clearly smarter due to their success in academics" to tin-foil hat conjecture that will likely sound a little like "ACists can't make inroads in academia because of their political beliefs", which will essentially contradict your original argument.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're moving his goalposts, since he never specified anything about the fields the degrees would be in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then the argument he was trying to craft is even less relevant.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) You might be right, but I suspect you have no idea what my undergrad degree is in or where I got it from.

[/ QUOTE ]

You got it from Michigan, and I want to say computer science (or english maybe?) although I have forgotten. Seems like you work/worked in that field or at some similar job that you hated. Not to get into an e-peen waving contest (I only bring it up because you asked), but chemical engineering pwns all degrees for undergrad anyway so I didn't need to know what yours was in. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'm at Kentucky because: 1) I'm from here 2) I love Kentucky sports 3) They're paying me to go here. I could have gone anywhere.

I am no longer a proponent of intelligent design. My scientific background was not as deep then as it is now (I blame public schools [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]), and I have become convinced that most of those with advanced science degrees who advocate it are being willfully dishonest, which did not seem apparent at the time. I hope you'll forgive my iniquities in that regard.

That said, I think I held my own pretty well with you, esp. considering the circumstances. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2007, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Militant Mike is an AC and only a high school education (says his information)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very impressive work gene. I admire your effort. While I didn't dig all the way through this dude's myspace page to see if it said he was an anarchocapitalist, I'll take your word for it. You get a gold star.

Now if I can just get Skidoo to show me one of those monopolies he's so worried about...
Old 02-06-2007, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Exactly. Hence the concept of filling anarchy's vacuum of state power.

Build it, or they will come.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly what? Can you tell me how they will build this empire when they have to do at least at the start through voluntary means (and the fact that if you're successful through voluntary businesses it makes no sense to turn to being some entrepreurial dictator) in a society that rejects statism? Can you tell me why it would be worth the risk of someone already wealthy to pursue such an idiotic idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute. Just because your group is practicing anarchy doesn't mean the nearest command economy Wehrmacht optimized for expansionist conquest has to do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]
We've been through this argument enough times. Go look for those. I don't feel like debunking your arguments every other thread.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't Shake like 19 or something?

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

And seeing as I'm just taking general courses right now because I have very little idea what I want to do I'm definitely not currently after an 'advanced degree'.