Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 01:48 AM

Default Re: What do you like about the State?

[ QUOTE ]
And now you've changed it to "many times more likely to be smart"

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant to say that, and retract the other statement. I hope you can forgive me.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Exactly. Hence the concept of filling anarchy's vacuum of state power.

Build it, or they will come.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly what? Can you tell me how they will build this empire when they have to do at least at the start through voluntary means (and the fact that if you're successful through voluntary businesses it makes no sense to turn to being some entrepreurial dictator) in a society that rejects statism? Can you tell me why it would be worth the risk of someone already wealthy to pursue such an idiotic idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait a minute. Just because your group is practicing anarchy doesn't mean the nearest command economy Wehrmacht optimized for expansionist conquest has to do the same.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said though, I think this argument has a tinge of appeal to authority and/or majority to it

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only that, you propped up DS as the authority on the matter in the midst of your crude appeal to authority. I like David and respect his judgments but claiming that DS thinks ACists have advanced-degrees at a higher rate than the average population is pretty close to meaningless and should rightfully be met with skepticism and incredulity.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but claiming that DS thinks ACists have advanced-degrees at a higher rate than the average population

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't claim that DS thought it, I claimed that I thought it (and that it is unquestionably true), and pointed out that DS recently made an argument based on similar reasoning that he and many others considered valid (assuming his observations are true). But your point is well-taken. I probably shouldn't have even brought it up.

btw, I'm amazed you're reading this thread at this point. What a trooper. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2007, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but claiming that DS thinks ACists have advanced-degrees at a higher rate than the average population

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't claim that DS thought it, I claimed that I thought it (and that it is unquestionably true), and pointed out that DS recently made an argument based on similar reasoning that he and many others considered valid (assuming his observations are true). But your point is well-taken. I probably shouldn't have even brought it up.

btw, I'm amazed you're reading this thread at this point. What a trooper. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm not really reading it very closely.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and that it is unquestionably true

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still waiting for the source that says ACists hold degrees in very high numbers.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still waiting for the source that says ACists hold degrees in very high numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're gonna be waiting a long time. Although as I said, I'd love to see you find just a single one that doesn't.

Edited to add: The point of me saying it was "unquestionably true" was to assert that it is true enough to any objective observer that no study should be necessary to show it (and I'm nearly certain there are no such studies anyway). But given your implied objective in this thread I would expect you to contest it to the bitter end. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-06-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Passive consent is still consent.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, I see, so if I give my wallet to a thug with a knife I'm consenting to him robbing me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you could prove to me that you've never used a government resource, then you might have an analogy.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this necessary for the analogy? The person getting mugged is recieving the services of the mugger (namely, the "not getting stabbed" service), which he is paying for.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I give my wallet to a thug with a knife I'm consenting to him robbing me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. If you withheld your wallet, no robbery occurs. DYSW?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this a joke? It would then either be attempted robbery, robbery and assault, robbery and attempted murder, or robbery and murder.
There is still a violent crime regardless of the victim's response.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only a crime as so proclaimed by the very state you oppose. Look how you run to the state to protect you now, but decry it later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did he say anything about the state? For someone who plays the "show me where I said XYZ" game so often, you're awful quick to stuff words into others' mouths.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the reasons mentioned here, I'd likely agree that it's true.

But, also for reasons mentioned here, I'd argue it's irrelevant anyway.