Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 01:32 AM

Default Re: What do you like about the State?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The problem that ACists never admit is that non-states can just as easily evolve into oppressive states with time as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That appears to be one of the major unfounded assumptions of anarchism, namely that the state is necessarily a more efficient means of oppression than what enters the picture to fill the power vacuum without it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sigh....I've already covered it in this thread here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your answer is that no one has an incentive to fill the vacuum of power? What about the net fortunes made by countless expansionist empires over the centuries?

[/ QUOTE ]
Umm, they came from taxes, conscription, and slave labor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Hence the concept of filling anarchy's vacuum of state power.

Build it, or they will come.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But it's pretty difficult to explain any other way than that on average an anarchocapitalist is many times smarter than the average person. Which I really don't think you or anyone else would dispute.

[/ QUOTE ]

Citations, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes please. I do dispute. Having a degree certainly does not mean you're smarter than someone. Just for the record, I literally laughed out loud reading that.

[/ QUOTE ]

In case you skipped that class, this is how logic works:

Anarchocapitalists are many times as likely as the average person to hold an advanced degree.

Advanced degree-holders are many times more likely to be smart than non-advanced degree holders.

Therefore, anarchocapitalists are many times more likely to be smart than the average person.

Is that clear enough for you?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lol @ this forum sparking the great AC revolution. What does it matter if you change minds if those people are not active?

[/ QUOTE ]

BCPVP, Shake and I are pretty active. And were all statists less than 12 months ago.

The movement in academia in general is the important one. You should consider asking yourself why an ACist is many, many times more likely to hold an advanced degree than the rest of the population. (If you don't like this sort of argument, don't blame me, it was Sklansky's idea.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an anarchist and I'm going to *gasp* law school! How [censored] up is that??
Old 02-06-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I said that having a degree does not prove you are more intelligent.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I never said it did, only that an anarchocapitalist is many times more likely than the average person to hold an advanced degree, and that advanced degree holders are generally smarter than non-advanced degree holders. Which you apparently concede.

[/ QUOTE ]

Marxists are also more likely to have a lot of education. Unfortunately you are missing Sklansky's point about there not being much debate among people on a subject who are very smart. More extreme positions are likely among more intelligent people.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:36 AM

"Many times more likely to be smart" =/= "many times smarter." DYSW?

Edit: Thanks to TomCollins for making that point as well.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I said that having a degree does not prove you are more intelligent.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I never said it did, only that an anarchocapitalist is many times more likely than the average person to hold an advanced degree, and that advanced degree holders are generally smarter than non-advanced degree holders. Which you apparently concede.

[/ QUOTE ]

Marxists are also more likely to have a lot of education. Unfortunately you are missing Sklansky's point about there not being much debate among people on a subject who are very smart. More extreme positions are likely among more intelligent people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to agree with this. I think it has more to do with extreme positions. Although this is just my rationale, I think it is ultimately caused by, on average, smarter people being (or at least attempting to be) more consistent in their views, and a tenacious grip on consistency leads to extreme views.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly. Hence the concept of filling anarchy's vacuum of state power.

Build it, or they will come.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly what? Can you tell me how they will build this empire when they have to do at least at the start through voluntary means (and the fact that if you're successful through voluntary businesses it makes no sense to turn to being some entrepreurial dictator) in a society that rejects statism? Can you tell me why it would be worth the risk of someone already wealthy to pursue such an idiotic idea?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately you are missing Sklansky's point about there not being much debate among people on a subject who are very smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that was his point. The thread wasn't about evolution/global warming. His point was that, if 20% of people hold X belief, then they should be similarly distributed among very smart people. I think you'll see that anarchocapitalists (and Marxists for that matter) are more densely distributed than you would expect among the educated, with the opposite being true for Rep.'s and Dem's.

I'd also say that the average Marxist is also far, far better able to make a logical defense of his positions than the average Rep. or Dem. His premises are just very different from mine.

Like I said though, I think this argument has a tinge of appeal to authority and/or majority to it, and I think the validity of one's actual positions is more important. So I don't really wish to discuss it much further. I was just humoring gene's inane responses.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. I only made the former point, not the latter.

Edited to add: Well, I meant the former even if I said the latter at one point. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] You can't really quantify multiples of smartness anyway. It's too late to edit the other post so I hope you'll accept the correction here.

And of course the point is the same.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. I only made the former point, not the latter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reread your previous quote: [ QUOTE ]
on average an anarchocapitalist is many times smarter than the average person

[/ QUOTE ]

And now you've changed it to "many times more likely to be smart"