Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Re: What do you like about the State?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt you could find one anarchocapitalist who doesn't have and isn't pursuing an advanced degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you know this, but correlation does not show causation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do know that.

But it's pretty difficult to explain any other way than that on average an anarchocapitalist is many times smarter than the average person. Which I really don't think you or anyone else would dispute.

That said, I think the validity of our positions is far more important than this argument. Just pointing it out.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love the comfort of knowing that on a day to day basis I will have to make less and less life altering decisions. There is a man in a suit someone where has decided all that hard stuff for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure we can find someone to boss you around without requiring that everyone else get bossed around, too.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The problem that ACists never admit is that non-states can just as easily evolve into oppressive states with time as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That appears to be one of the major unfounded assumptions of anarchism, namely that the state is necessarily a more efficient means of oppression than what enters the picture to fill the power vacuum without it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sigh....I've already covered it in this thread here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your answer is that no one has an incentive to fill the vacuum of power? What about the net fortunes made by countless expansionist empires over the centuries?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But it's pretty difficult to explain any other way than that on average an anarchocapitalist is many times smarter than the average person. Which I really don't think you or anyone else would dispute.

[/ QUOTE ]

Citations, please.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Citations, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes please. I do dispute. Having a degree certainly does not mean you're smarter than someone. Just for the record, I literally laughed out loud reading that.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Citations, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes please. I do dispute. Having a degree certainly does not mean you're smarter than someone. Just for the record, I literally laughed out loud reading that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

So your contention is that the average person with an advanced degree is not more intelligent than the average person without one?

Would you also contend that the average NFL football player is not more athletic than the average non-NFL player?

News flash: Colleges have admissions standards. They get increasingly more difficult to meet as the degree program in question becomes more advanced. Smart people tend to be selected over dumb.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The problem that ACists never admit is that non-states can just as easily evolve into oppressive states with time as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

That appears to be one of the major unfounded assumptions of anarchism, namely that the state is necessarily a more efficient means of oppression than what enters the picture to fill the power vacuum without it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sigh....I've already covered it in this thread here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your answer is that no one has an incentive to fill the vacuum of power? What about the net fortunes made by countless expansionist empires over the centuries?

[/ QUOTE ]
Umm, they came from taxes, conscription, and slave labor.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So your contention is that the average person with an advanced degree is not more intelligent than the average person without one?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did I say that? You sure do like to jump to conclusions. I said that having a degree does not prove you are more intelligent. You may well be, but not because some paper says so.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I said that having a degree does not prove you are more intelligent.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I never said it did, only that an anarchocapitalist is many times more likely than the average person to hold an advanced degree, and that advanced degree holders are generally smarter than non-advanced degree holders. Which you apparently concede.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did I say that? You sure do like to jump to conclusions. I said that having a degree does not prove you are more intelligent. You may well be, but not because some paper says so.

[/ QUOTE ]
How is any of this relevent? The vast majority of Americans (smart or otherwise) are completely clueless when it comes to government and politics. They just pick sides based on what they see on TV or read in a newspaper.