Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Bay Area Card Room -- Need a rideshare/carpool

Yeah, almost positive Oaks doesn't have NL... LC does, maybe they also have a shuttle of sorts?
Old 10-04-2006, 04:20 PM

LC has a shuttle. The only true NL in the bay is Artichoke Joe's M, W, F 2000 min 5-5-10. Max bet everywhere else except for Cache Creek is 200 dollars. The law has been changed, and games will return to NL by Jan 1st 2007 at the latest at LC. There's some NL games in SF, but they are not legal.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only true NL in the bay is Artichoke Joe's M, W, F 2000 min 5-5-10. Max bet everywhere else except for Cache Creek is 200 dollars. The law has been changed, and games will return to NL by Jan 1st 2007 at the latest at LC. There's some NL games in SF, but they are not legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

...this isn't true. The Palace card room in Hayward has uncapped 5/10 NL spread daily from noon until the game breaks.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:53 PM

whooops. sonoma joe's is no limit as well. far smaller card rooms though.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:03 PM

The bet cap will be gone January 1 (they've been trying for sooner, but at this point...). It's not yet clear what will happen to their buy-ins.

Oh, there spread-limit and soon be be no-limit are 1-1-2, and 2-3-5 (not 2/5), with the first bet on the button and the to-go bet being the sum (e.g., 4 and 10 respectively). Currently the first game has a $200 buy-in cap and the second is uncapped. I suspect the second part will at least change when they go to no-limit and that a higher blind un-capped game will be added (which is what they had before the state made them go to $200 max bets).
Old 01-31-2007, 09:39 AM

No NL at the oaks, but they do have some good 6-12 and 15-30 limit games. Be careful and observative though, as sometimes the 15-30 can be VERY tough. The oaks has several props that are very good, and they definitly employ a shark mentality in that they focus on attacking the newbies and known fish, not eachother. Not that they play teams, but they will definitly avoid eachother....but you should be smart enough not to sit in a game full of props anyways. As for transportation they have a free shuttle that will take/pick up players from the closest bart (macaurther transfer station).
Also, if you like tournaments, the Oaks Sunday NL is my absolute favorite...$80+20 buy in with one $80 rebuy anytime in first hour and one $80 add-on at end of first hour, or if you run out of chips after using the rebuy. Basically its a $260 buy in, with smart play dictating a $180 initial buy plus $80 if you make it through the first hour (you should). They also award points for a leaderboard which ends in a WSOP satellite for the leaders and most frequent players which awards several preliminary events as prizes....
Old 01-31-2007, 02:12 PM

How'd I miss this the first time around?

AJs, Lucky Chances, The Palace, and Oaks are all easily accessible via BART and a short walk. AJs is 20 minute walk from San Bruno station through suburban sprawl. LC a short wait and a free shuttle ride from Colma. The Palace about a 10 minute walk from Hayward through downtown. And Oaks about 20 minutes from MacArthur through some residential Oakland neighborhoods. For a Mission dweller none of these should be long walks or dubious environs.

Only issue is of course BART stops at midnight, so the choice is usually leave early or play through 'til morning.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And Oaks about 20 minutes from MacArthur through some residential Oakland neighborhoods. For a Mission dweller none of these should be long walks or dubious environs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't want to walk through these Oakland neighborhoods at night loaded with cash. Take a cab from the BART station about 2 miles. Or if you feel really cheap, the Emery-Go-Round from MacArthur BART will drop you off at the corner of 40th and San Pablo, 1/2 a block from the front door. It's a freebee (still)
Old 02-06-2007, 12:56 AM

Muni, Bart, SamTrans, CalTrain, you have several options.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:59 AM

hey
I live in the richmond district. I hardly play live but I've been meaning to do a little more. Once a week is too much, but i'd like to go visit the oaks once in a while, also bay101 but that's a hike.

I probably wouldn't mind picking you up for a trip to the oaks sometime.