Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Ask AZK about being Pre-med/Getting into Medical School

What is the easiest med school to get into? I have been to law school and business school already.... might want to go for the trifecta...
Old 02-05-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the easiest med school to get into? I have been to law school and business school already.... might want to go for the trifecta...

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably in Bali.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:32 PM

Sorry for the delay, just had a huge ell phys exam... here come a bunch of answers....
Old 02-05-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AZK, are you in residency right now? If so, how is it? No free time at all? Average hours?

How is clerkship?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I am a first year in medical school, I have 3 years left after this one and then I start residency. Right now I have a decent amount of free time, but not enough free time to play poker (due to my personality) as I learned first semester. So without poker, and with a better control on my studies I have a lot of free time. Basically my schedule each day is 7am wake up, 8 - 12 class, 1 - 5 study (not everyday), then I have the rest of the night free and go to bed around midnight....
Old 02-05-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't mind, would you elaborate a little more on your experience after your first application cycle? Specifically, would you have done anything differently between cycles? It seems like you were overqualified academically for these graduate/postbacc type programs. Did you hesitate in reapplying or were you determined to go to medical school the whole time? Are you now satisfied with your decision to go to medical school? How do you stay motivated in such a rigorous environment, or is that not an issue for you? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

First cycle was sort of a mess. I decided on premed late, so I had to take the MCAT late, which delayed my entire application, which ultimately resulted in me not getting into medical school that year. It was a good thing in hindsight, because it was also at that point where poker for me was taking off, I was playing more poker than god and only cared about poker, so getting into med school and starting would have been awful, I would have crashed and burned as I was too obsessed with poker to let it go and wasn't mentally prepared for med school. Basically with the late MCAT instead of getting interviews rolling in sept/oct I was getting them in Jan/Feb, by then, a substantial of schools already had active waitlists forming, and being a fairly average applicant, I was [censored]. Between cycles I would have tried to travel more, maybe spend an extended period of time in another country, I wouldn't have done the SMP program, but I probably wouldn't be at UMD if I didn't and I'd rather be here than anywhere else, so it's tough to say. If you don't have to do anything to improve your application I highly recommend taking a year off anyway, just defer your acceptance and go do something crazy. You can still have fun in medical school and do crazyish things, but nothing like the pure freedom after college. It will also help put things in perspective as I know for me and most people I talk to, you have that brief depression stint after college, it's also nice to take a break since the next four years of your life are going to be more intense than any other point in your life. I was a pretty average applicant, 3.5 GPA, 31 applicant, if anything, i was slightly below average at certain schools, if you have a [censored] gpa, I'd go post bac route, if you have a low mcat, retake it, if you are taking a year off and looking to define yourself in some way you can do research but you have to want to do research, a lot of people I know that tried that hated it...I was overqualified for the postbacc program, but I was a bit burned out from all the research I had done in undergrad and I didn't want to do it for another year 9-5, the gtown program looked good bc the classes were med classes, I wasn't expecting it to be that difficult since it was a 50/50 split between med and grad. but it was actually pretty difficult, granted I was playing poker about 14 hours a day and sleeping the other 10, but I barely passed each class once I got into med school and had to really work for a C (I've never had to do that)... That was more of a poker issue than work issue, if I cared enough I could have really kicked it's ass, but I was totally apathetic towards the program/people/teachers...despite being my greatest poker year until my 4 month long tilt session it was the worst year of my life in many ways because of the transition, I had moved back home and was living with my parents, all my friends from school were in other cities, all my friends in the DC area worked 9-5 and I was sort of in a non-drinking phase of my life, so it was hard to party with them. I met no girls and nearly everyone in the program sucked...it was just awful...it's probably why I played so much poker and slept so much. Whatever. To be totally honest, I kept hoping in the first week that some med school was gonna call and get me off the waitlist, I'm not normally naive or an optimist but in the back of my head all of august I was thinking, whatever any day now they are going to calland then I can tell georgetown to go [censored] themselves. yeah never happened. So then I'm in this program hating it, another hoop to jump through and I am bored out of my mind. Then I get in to Tulane first in Oct. and they add a nice little clause like all schools "acceptance contingent upon completion of current grad. program." [censored]. So much for that idea. So yeah...rest of the year kinda went down hill from there...

I didn't hesitate at all in reapplying because despite the poker success I was fairly certain I didnt want to make a career out of it, I was just addicted to the money, the lifestyle was nice, but too lazy/boring/apathy inducing for me, I had thought about a few other job routes, namely being a professor/research, basically going to get a PhD in organic and doing that...but after a few bad lab explosions/experiments and a lot of time in the hood and seeing the lifestyle of grad students I realized I couldnt do this for 5 years and I needed more human contact, mentally the PhD would have been rewarding, but I'm an all or none person, I need the whole package or I'm not running at 100%...so to only have the mental side wouldn't have really worked.

I am now very satisfied with my decision to go to medical school, I have great friends, I have a great class, I'm engaged, I like the material, I like where I am... I'm basically running it now and I can't imagine doing anything else.

I stay motivated because I'm interested, it's postive feedback for me, if I'm challenged and curious I have no problem staying motivated and running it, if I get bogged down, bored, turned off then I crash and burn. I used to be a competitive anal retentative premed, but after freshmen year of college that more or less disappeared, when I realized I'd rather be doing other things with my time then going to the library every afternoon. I still occasionally get that gunner instinct but maybe once a month for a day, the rest of hte time I'm going to the library because I know I have to and I want to do well, I don't need 95s anymore, but I want to know and learn the material.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not sure why anyone would ever want to go to med school. Being a doctor right now is like getting a punch in the face. I used to be pre med..and I know a lot of ppl who just went to med school because "it was the only thing I could do." If you desire to go to med school, you better come up for a good reason than "my parents told me to."

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't an issue for me.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally the easiest medical school to get into is your own in-state tuition. This concept does not apply to the state of California.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:11 PM

Currently a 2nd year finance major thinking about medical school. If I go this route I could make up the minimum bio/chem requirements in time to take the MCAT next year. Is it unfavorable to have a finance degree with minimum science requirements? Does this answer change depending on the test score?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Currently a 2nd year finance major thinking about medical school. If I go this route I could make up the minimum bio/chem requirements in time to take the MCAT next year. Is it unfavorable to have a finance degree with minimum science requirements? Does this answer change depending on the test score?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my friends is a 4th med student, and he got a bachelors in business. I am considering med school, and I am an economics major.

It might not be standard, but its not a disadvantage as far as I know.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:11 AM

AZK,

Awesome and very insightful post. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

[ QUOTE ]
and nearly everyone in the program sucked...it was just awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the difference, you think, between your SMP class and your current class of 1st years? Aren't like 80% of those from your SMP class going to medical school? Is it a matter of perspective, from outside to inside medical school, or do you think you are lucky with your current class? Could it be the school itself?