Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2007, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Rating The Best Woman In Each Sport Part 1

Golf: Anika Sorenstam actually played in a mens PGA tour event a few years back (much to the disgust of a few individuals) and she actually made the cut and did reasonably well thereafter. I'd say shed rank around 50th amounst the top men's players

Tennis: OOH AHH Federer cannot be touched, theres a few who could claim to be the best female, Serena Williams, Justine Henin Hardenne, Amelie mauresmo, but whoever it is id say quite low. again mayb 50th.

Marathon and 100m: similar to the men. I wouldn't think theyd be far off, actually that goes for shot put too.

Softball: I know nothing about softball, no comment.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:26 PM

I think a lot of people are under estimating wome here. 10,000th for tennis i saw some1 say. That's ridiculous. I cant play tennis to save my life but i could probably practice and be ranked 10,000th in the world, and the top women tennis players would destroy me and spit on me when im on the floor exhausted. Also I agree that golf is quite an up and down sport, i play quite a lot and believe it or not i reckon id beat Tiger twice if I were to play him in 100 matches (yes im saying i could beat Tiger Woods) but golf is a game of consistency. Rankings are not compiled from 1 tournament, they are compiled over years and years and players who consistently make leaderboards and win titles are unsuprisingly on top of these Rankings.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:31 PM

You guys seem to be missing the fact that a woman's shot weights 4kg or 8.8 pounds. The world record holding woman would never place in a mens competition.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Golf: Anika Sorenstam actually played in a mens PGA tour event a few years back (much to the disgust of a few individuals) and she actually made the cut and did reasonably well thereafter. I'd say shed rank around 50th amounst the top men's players

[/ QUOTE ]

She missed the cut.
She hand picked the course best suiting her. She played in a tournament with a limited field (app.120). They cut to 70 and ties.
She played this tournament when she was absolutely dominating the women's tour. She played well. She beat approximately 10-15% of the players.
I think there are easily over 1,000 golfer who play the game better than Annika.

ps. I am a fan of Annika's, and have much respect for her ability, work ethic, and mental toughness. She is, in my opinion, the best woman to ever hit a golf ball.

results
Old 02-06-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker is the best equalizer-they (women) should push their way into poker. Their expectation is WAY HIGHER than any other unisex sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason the gap between the very best men and women rock climbers if fairly narrow. At one point in the 90's, Lynn Hill, a woman, was arguably the best rock climber in the world for a period of about 2 years.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:09 PM

this another question that's been botherin me for while. not the question itself but the answers from everyone here. i've read some very rational explanations as to figure out where the marathonist would rate. take the best times of females and compare to avg time from top male marathonists in the world. of course take into consideration that a lot of male runners don't run the "big races" cause they know they'll end up 40th there but 1st for sure on a easier marathon where they can cash $5k easily. also good explanations for shot put, tennis, and golf (not gonna write them, look em up). but softball? r u kiddin me? how the hell some people here rate her top 50, top 100, top 200? r u out of ur mind? i'm 23 yrs old right now. i was drafted by the kansas city royals when i was 18 and played a yr of div. 1 baseball (dropped it b/c i love poker so much). i'm obviously well above the avg. baseball player, but also well below the avg major leaguer. my point is this... softball is baseball made easier. i'm better at softball than any woman in the world. i know this because i've practiced with div. 1 softball players and i've practiced with international softball teams. i'm talkin about the teams that go to the panamerican games, olympics, etc, which means they ARE the best in the world. among the international softball teams i've practiced with are panama, puerto rico, venezuela, canada, and some ex-members of the US team. none of these women are even close to runnin the bases faster than me, hittin the ball harder, hittin for higher avg, fieldin range, or throwin arm (in both accuracy and strength). and i'm just regular good at this game. u HAVE to put every single major leaguer, minor leaguer, independent professional league player, the japan league, winter baseball in mexico and the caribbean, cuba, div. 1 players, and many others in front of the best woman at softball. i'll bet anythin w/ anyone i can go get my 3 brothers, one of my cousins, and a few friends, practice for a few weeks and beat the best women's softball u can put together from the whole world. it's not even close.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:38 PM

i need to clarify that my 3 brothers and 1 cousin are very good baseball players (2 of them notably better than me). also, by "a few friends" i mean hand picked friends of mine who are professional baseball players right now or play college baseball right now.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:42 PM

Golf is not a sport.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Tennis: OOH AHH Federer cannot be touched, theres a few who could claim to be the best female, Serena Williams, Justine Henin Hardenne, Amelie mauresmo, but whoever it is id say quite low. again mayb 50th.

Marathon and 100m: similar to the men. I wouldn't think theyd be far off, actually that goes for shot put too.

Softball: I know nothing about softball, no comment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Way off on golf. The three female tennis players you listed are not the best in the world, but when Serena (or was it Venus) was #1 she challenged any male tennis player not ranked in the top 200. She got smoked and quit after 1 set.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky