Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 12:47 PM

Default How to play against a frequent straddler?

I have a few questions about the straddle bet. I've seen a number of strategies used against the frequent straddle player: always blind raise the straddler, always call, always sit out the BB so the player can't straddle, and expand starting hand range and aggression.

Synopsis: typical LP 2/4, 5 to flop table.

What are the correct adjustments against the straddle (in terms of aggression and starting hand requirements) from early position, middle and late.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Re: How to play against a frequent straddler?

[ QUOTE ]
...always blind raise the straddler...

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG so awful.

[ QUOTE ]
...always call...

[/ QUOTE ]

Also disgustingly bad.

[ QUOTE ]
...always sit out the BB so the player can't straddle...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is such a dick move. Why would you do this?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...always blind raise the straddler...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMG so awful.

Quote:

...always call...

Also disgustingly bad.

Quote:

...always sit out the BB so the player can't straddle...

This is such a dick move. Why would you do this?

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, sounds like you got some bad advice.

In early position I would just wait for decent hands then 3bet his azz.

If he is doing it a lot, are there still 5 people calling?

If so, I would call with all pp's and suited connectors.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:41 PM

There is a regular at one of the cardrooms I play at that does this to anyone that straddles. I've found that it's the elderly players that hate straddlers.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:58 PM

I'm not asking which of these is the bet choice. I know these are all fairly bad decisions.

I'm asking for advice on what is the best way to handle straddlers; independent of what I've witnessed.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a regular at one of the cardrooms I play at that does this to anyone that straddles. I've found that it's the elderly players that hate straddlers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate this guy!!! Stradlers are giving you monies in limit hold em. Stupid fing nits.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:16 PM

It depends on how the table is reacting to the 3-bets, to be honest. 2/4 is low enough that you're probably still going 5 to the flop no matter what the action is, but if it plays more like the 6/12 or 8/16 games I know then its a really easy answer:

Open up your raising requirements and 3 bet the [censored] out of him..
Old 02-05-2007, 07:28 PM

If he's aggressive post flop too, then be glad he's sitting next to you. Simply call in the BB with good or better hands (pairs, suited connectors, big cards, big connectors - obv reraise premium hands), and use his betting tendancy to trap everyone at the table for 2 bets when you hit big. I had one of these players to my left yesterday and had a great day because of it. Nothing like hitting a set and having a bad laggy player that nobody credits with a hand bet it for you.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's aggressive post flop too, then be glad he's sitting next to you. Simply call in the BB with good or better hands (pairs, suited connectors, big cards, big connectors - obv reraise premium hands), and use his betting tendancy to trap everyone at the table for 2 bets when you hit big. I had one of these players to my left yesterday and had a great day because of it. Nothing like hitting a set and having a bad laggy player that nobody credits with a hand bet it for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great way to handle them, the other thing is when a seat comes open you can move or go to another table. (do this if it puts you on tilt) If you do you maybe giving up the chance at some nice pots if you play well. I end up folding more with straddles and consider it a "rent increase" for playing a LAG table.
Old 02-06-2007, 05:32 PM

Depends on the table, but to generalize --

The straddler has just raised the pot with what s/he expects to be an 'average hand'. This is wrong, wrong, wrong and according to FTOP, will lose money for the straddler.

Further, what do we do when we see wrong play in our opponents? We punish it!!! It's our civic duty to do so. This doesn't mean call every hand, but if the pot hasn't been called or raised by the time it gets to me, I'm greatly expanding my range and looking for an excuse to raise.

With three bets in the pot, and my tight table image (for anyone in a 2-4 game who even notices), I'm going to drive rocks unless they have the nuts or close to it, and it's one of the few cases where I might actually take down a pot pre-flop.

If the straddle has been called or raised before it gets to me, I have to know something about the player who voluntarily put money into the pot. Do I the extra bet would normally get the player to slow down? If so, beware. Do I think this player will actually do what I would and bet with an extended range of hands -- if so, get very aggressive and re-raise if you can find a way to justify it.

Of course, with this silliness, you're going to increase your variance, but such is life.