Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 03:33 PM

Default Re: korean food

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone know what the rock hen stuffed with glutinous rice and cooked in ginseng soup is called?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the same as this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be it. But from that description, the soup sounds a little different.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Dubu jigae (or Tofu jigae)

[/ QUOTE ]

I made this last night from

http://www.whats4eats.com/recipes/r_...ubujjigae.html

this recipe. It was delicious!!!

If you google "Korean tofu stew" there are tons of recipes. I didn't realize from this thread that the tofu used is like a liquid that just thickens the broth, and the meats in the stew are actual meats, not firm tofu.

Next week I hope to make the long hard trek from the Mission up to Geary to try some restaurant-made stuff.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Samgyetang is one of my favorite heartier soups - very restorative great if you have a cold. It's a small chicken (stuffed with sticky rice), cooked in a very gingery, garlicy, scallion broth. It's light tasting and the chicken is falling off the bone if prepared well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going against the grain, Korean cuisine is one of my least favorite. I'm not a fan of KimChee, which pretty much kills it there. Bulgogi, Kalbi and Bibimbap are all pretty good, though.

The soup above is very tasty, too - except the first time I had it in Korea it was in the middle of summer, so about 95 degrees/95 percent humidity both outside and in the restaurant. Having a bowl of soup brought to the table at a rolling boil (see picture) didn't quite work out. When I had it during a winter trip, though, it was awesome.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:06 AM

There are quite a bit of Korean places in Santa Clara, CA. Good stuff, nice and spicy. I usually get the Kalbi or Bulgoki, sometimes a tofu soup. Love the Kimchee that comes before the meal...
Old 02-05-2007, 02:12 AM

whats the best way to upload photos on the net? my internet is very bad right now and imageshack and photobucket both crash on me everytime.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another dish I love is called tang-su-yuk. It's the Korean version of sweet and sour chicken. Bad places will make it too sweet, oversauced, with overcooked chicken. Good ones will have a lightly sweet sauce over tender chicken.

Man, I want some now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I'm a white boy living in Seoul right now. I haven't had this in a few weeks...I know my lunch for tomorrow. So good.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Samgyetang is one of my favorite heartier soups - very restorative great if you have a cold. It's a small chicken (stuffed with sticky rice), cooked in a very gingery, garlicy, scallion broth. It's light tasting and the chicken is falling off the bone if prepared well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going against the grain, Korean cuisine is one of my least favorite. I'm not a fan of KimChee, which pretty much kills it there. Bulgogi, Kalbi and Bibimbap are all pretty good, though.

The soup above is very tasty, too - except the first time I had it in Korea it was in the middle of summer, so about 95 degrees/95 percent humidity both outside and in the restaurant. Having a bowl of soup brought to the table at a rolling boil (see picture) didn't quite work out. When I had it during a winter trip, though, it was awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is actually eaten in the summer months more often than winter. Supposedly sweating from the heat + the massive amounts of ginseng have health benefits.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The spicy broth soups in this thread look really awesome; I'm always looking for good asian soups and had no idea the Koreans had so much to contribute. I think I'll keep getting my Udon from the Japanese though.

[/ QUOTE ]
Korean udon is much more similar to Japanese ramen than udon.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Korean udon is much more similar to Japanese ramen than udon.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually had a Korean udon the other day and it was very tasty. The broth was a lot richer than you'd typically get at a Japanese place.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:25 PM

I'm gonna bump this thread, because....well, I love Korean food. I'm gonna have some sul-lung-tang or gom-tang today.

Gonna make some kalbi too. yum