Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2007, 04:55 PM

Default ($5) KQs on button facing early position raiser

While short-stacked I found KQs on the button against an early position raiser. Did I play this too passively?

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t3430)
UTG+1 (t1845)
MP1 (t1190)
CO (t1550)
Hero (t935)
SB (t2365)
BB (t2185)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="red">UTG raises to t200</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, Hero calls t200, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t100

Flop: (t650) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets t400</font>, Hero calls t400, <font color="red">BB raises to t1200</font>, <font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, Hero calls t335 (All-in)

Should I have just shoved pre-flop (since I was short-stacked)? I was hesitant because I thought I might be dominated by the UTG raiser.

On the flop, would it have been better to shove after the UTG bet?
Old 02-04-2007, 05:19 PM

Default Re: ($5) KQs on button facing early position raiser

if you think you were dominated preflop you should have folded regardless....I think with your stack, if you were set on calling the raise, you definately should have pushed preflop and would most likely folded out 44 or 88.....now on to the flop, your call of 400 is no good, you gotta push there, you cant just call more than half your stack in that situation, you obviously werent gonna fold the turn so why not push and hope to push out a flush draw or some other weak hand that had outs.....anyway, what did BB have?
Old 02-04-2007, 05:30 PM

Turn: (t2985) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)

River: (t2985) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)

BB has Kh, 4c (two pair, Kings and Fours)

Hero has Kc, Qc (a pair of Kings)

Blech.... *Bangs Head*
Old 02-04-2007, 05:58 PM

If, and that's a big if, I decided to play KQs after an EP raise, I would not call. Any call is committing yourself to the pot, and worse, offering odds to anyone behind you to jump in the fray. The only play (other than fold) is to push.

However, You are shortstacked, with slightly less than 10BB... but you are not desperate. Certainly not desperate enough to push your entire stack against an EP raiser with a marginal hand like KQs. The only way I play this hand is with the read that the blinds are very tight, and the opening raiser minraises a lot of crap hands.

As played, you flopped TP2K with a pot of 1050 and a chip stack of 735. You have no choice but to push it all in here, and hope you have some FE (though I can't see any better hand folding).
Old 02-04-2007, 06:26 PM

All in or Fold your not deep enough to be seeing flops. I would prolly fold. I would much preferably be the first one puttin money in.