Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Why watch pro wrestling?

Watch the last 10-15 minutes of this fight if you don't think these guys are ridiculous athletes. The finisher is one of the craziest things I've ever seen http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ragon+gate+roh

And no I'm not really even a wrestling fan and a barely can stomach WWE but I will recognize amazing talent when I see it.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:16 PM

god, I hate crap like this. What's the point of even creating this thread. I love both MMA and wrestling and its rather silly that all of these people who never saw UFC before TUF are coming along and trying to go off on pro wrestling. THe fact is, there has probably been one UFC PPV that has come close to teh buy rates of Wrestlemania for the past 8 years.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
god, I hate crap like this. What's the point of even creating this thread. I love both MMA and wrestling and its rather silly that all of these people who never saw UFC before TUF are coming along and trying to go off on pro wrestling. THe fact is, there has probably been one UFC PPV that has come close to teh buy rates of Wrestlemania for the past 8 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, maybe I should have not created this thread. I feel kinda bad because i just bagged on pro wrestling. It was mostly just a thought in my head and I decided to post.
I suck

Pro Wrestlers could kick my ass any day of the week.

At the same time-Pro wrestling is an interesting concept. It's basically a live fake fighting show targeted at men which has outlasted many other types of shows. While there have been show fads (ex. reality, and leave you hanging shows(ex.nip tuck,lost,hero's,desperate housewives)). Pro Wrestling, which is not really wrestling at all, has lasted 30 years, unlike other types of shows. And on top of that, it's still basically the exact same show it was 30 years ago. Humans love to see the same things packaged differently and sold as new.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:26 AM

It's soap opera for men.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's soap opera for men.

[/ QUOTE ]
very original
Old 02-03-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

At the same time-Pro wrestling is an interesting concept.

[/ QUOTE ]Seinfeld used to have a pretty funny routine talking about the guy that first came up with the concept of pro wrestling trying to pitch it to his boss.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Why watch pro wrestling? ***Spoiler***

Its still real to me damnit!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy7nPSnMqYA

If I could be serious for a moment, I think most ppl watch wrestling because they watched it as a child and its a part of their childhood they can still enjoy today. Theres a saying that goes a little something like: for ppl who don't like it no explanation will do, for ppl who do like it no explanation is needed.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

At the same time-Pro wrestling is an interesting concept.

[/ QUOTE ]Seinfeld used to have a pretty funny routine talking about the guy that first came up with the concept of pro wrestling trying to pitch it to his boss.

[/ QUOTE ]

The original concept of pro wrestling (pre-1900 or so) is actually really simple: pepole like seeing people fighting. But, in order to make the matchups more interesting, the powers that be decided that they should control the outcome such that the big draws stay big.

(To give a real sports example, if the NBA is fixed, David Stern would ensure that either Dallas or Phoenix was in the NBA Finals).

What's interesting is the evolution of fake fighting to the spectacle it is today. Lou Thesz used to rail against what wrestling has become, but if you watch his matches from the 50s, they have some of the same features, such as Thesz heeling it up, hiding punches from the refs, etc.