Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2007, 05:52 AM

Default stars 11.70 double shootout to stars million: The all in over bet??

First, why do people even do this? It's not like anybody will ever call you and if you do have the nuts you will never get paid off unless somebody has a big hand as well.

Now saying that do I really find ways to get away from these hands that have villain over betting the pot with an all in.

All of these hands are from the 11.70 double shootout to the sunday million. This is my first time playing these and I went out of my first 3 tries with these hands that I may be have been able to get away from...

------------------------------------------------------------
This was try #1:

pre-flop the mini raise from BB looks like a bad attempt at a re-steal to me. Maybe he has something like AK or a low pocket pair like 5's or 6's. Tho it was still early so i guess no read is solid.

on the flop: I can't put the guy on a 9 why would go all in with a set. Anybody that misses this board can easily fold. I'd probably even fold the nut flush draw if i had it. Tho i did hit top pair and figure the guy for something like AK of hearts or pocket 10's or J's. I don't see him hitting the flop at all and there was a high chance he was gambling on a flush draw.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB (t4140)
BB (t2880)
UTG (t2140)
Hero (t1680)
Button (t1160)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t100</font>, Hero calls t40.

Flop: (t210) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t2780 (All-In)</font>, Hero???

Try #2: Ok this wasn't an all in by villian but it's close enough as he basically puts me all in with his flop raise.

pre flop: I know you guys want a raise here but i felt like just calling incase UTG was slow playing some pocket pair with just the mini raise. I close out the action in the BB so i don't see any reason to not take the flop and try to hit a 9. I can easily throw it away to resistance.

Flop: I figure this is a great flop for me. my pocket 9's are probably best and it's well concealed. I can hit an 8 for a straight as well. I check knowing that UTG will probably c-bet his mini raise and I can raise it.

The plan works out great and I raise his bet easily. I figure he has 2 over cards maybe AT+ but definitely not the straight. Maybe he did have a over pair on me? Tho he re-mini raises my raise back. Dumb mini raise as I can't see folding at this point as I probably have the best hand and a call just sucks. If he has an over pair then i still have an 8 to win. I figure it's all in or fold point. Easy all in???

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero (t1630)
UTG (t1240)
MP1 (t1210)
MP2 (t1390)
CO (t880)
Button (t2590)
SB (t1560)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t40</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t40, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t20.

Flop: (t130) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t200</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t1000</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ??? </font>

Try #3: I'm in the BB and I'm more then happy to see this for free...

On the flop I get an open ended straight draw but i figure If i bet i would just get raised by some Ace. I elected to check/call up to a pot sized bet and see what the turn brings.

Turn is a blank and it goes check/check. Hmm interesting maybe this guy just has a flush draw or just has a J and think i have the Ace.

The river brings the semi great card. It's the Qd which completes a flush and the same time gives me the straight. I check thinking this guy may bluff at me and I can pick it off. If it goes check/check it's ok as the flush does scare me.

Villain elects to go all in. Strange play, if he thinks i have the A and will call this all in he's not to bright. Then again i don't play the A this way... Maybe he has AJ but then why limp pre-flop as I would think a raise would have occurred.

Does he push with the flush?? It's a strange play that won't get paid off too often. A smaller bet would get the A to call who would otherwise fold to the all in. I did play the hand really weekly so the guy could be doing this with something like a pair of 9's or maybe he had 78, missed his straight draw and made and outrageous bluff to my week play.

Easy call??

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t1640)
SB (t1630)
Hero (t1470)
UTG (t1620)
MP1 (t1280)
MP2 (t1470)
CO (t1390)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t20, Button calls t20, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t100) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t100</font>, SB folds, Hero calls t100, MP1 folds, CO folds.

Turn: (t300) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: (t300) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t1520 (All-In)</font>, Hero ????
Old 02-04-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Re: stars 11.70 double shootout to stars million: The all in over bet??

I'll have a look at the posts in a minute but from just glancing at them, I'd be tempted to post them in the STT forum. Although DS' are technically an MTT, they are really just two STT's.

Now I'll try to have a look at the post fo you
Old 02-04-2007, 09:59 AM

Well in hand 3 I think you should just check/fold the flop. I know you have an OESD and plenty of implied oddsm but conventional wisdom in an STT is to take very little risk in the very early stages and to loosen up and take more chances as the game goes on. This is because you can accumulate better when the blinds are higher as the average pot size goes up. Looking at this particual situation I would not have called a pot sized bet for the reason alone that you may have only 6 outs (and 2 devastating cards) and even if you get the straight your opponent may have redraws.

As played I give it up on the river I think he probably got there or maybe a split.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:17 AM

Hand 1. The minireraise could have been a big pair. Villain probably has an overpair, a 9, or a draw. I don't think you can call this.

Hand 2. The minireraise on the flop indicates strength, but at this point you are pot committed. You have 6 outs against AA. Once you raised, you pot committed yourself, which is not to say the raise was bad.

Hand 3. I would fold to the overbet push. Villain probably has a big hand and wants a big pot.

I would probably fold to the pot sized bet on the flop. The problem is there is a 2-flush and you are not drawing to the nut straight. The board is too dangerous to play the hand more aggressively than you did on the flop and turn.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: stars 11.70 double shootout to stars million: The all in over bet?

thanks for the replies. If you wanted to know villain's hands they where

#1 AQ
#2 J4
#3 57 diamonds
Old 02-04-2007, 03:54 PM

Well, results have already been posted (unfortunately), but #1 is an easy fold, #2 is an easy jam, and #3 is slightly tougher, but still a pretty clear fold IMHO.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:56 PM

Oh yeah and I agree about the flop call in hand #3 being suspect, unless you're planning on making a move (which I also don't particularly like). You're drawing to the low end, there's a FD on board, the ace out there makes semi-bluffing less effective, bleh. Not a good spot, just ditch it.