Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Can we lobby for legislation for getting money out

How plausible is it that a large group of citizens calling their representatives (and perhaps a few favorable to our cause, e.g. Shelley Berkeley, the representative from the congressional district which contains Las Vegas) could motivate the passage of legislation that would clarify that it is legal to withdraw funds from gambling sites, at least for some specified period of time.

The completely reasonable (to me at least) argument is that the legislation is designed to prevent people from gambling online. If your money is in an online site and you cannot get it off, then all you can do with it is gamble it away. As inept and corrupt as Congress is, they don't want ordinary Americans to lose their money or even have it tied up if they are trying to withdraw their money and abide by the new legislation.

It seems like this legislation is reasonable enough that it would just take a few motivated reps to craft it and that it could be attached to something else and pass through without objection. It would not be ideal and it almost certainly would not happen fast enough to resolve the Neteller problem, but it would be something in the right direction.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Can we lobby for legislation for getting money out

It seems reasonable, of course, and I think we should try...but you should know that DC does not work fast at much of anything, no matter how "reasonable". But an email/calling campaign couldn't hurt.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:46 PM

The last time I lobbied for something ridiculous like this is when we tried to legalize marijuana. We got three hundred pot smokers to agree on showing up at 9AM to protest at City Hall. Problem is, pot smoker aren't the kind of people who show up for anything. Just like gamblers.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:15 PM

this proves how stupid this legislation is. Frist and Co. kept saying how much money was leaving the country. Ironically, because of their legislation, thousands of americans are being blocked from receiving their money.

What a joke.

This really needs media attention. If CNN started having stories on americans being blocked from their funds because of the legislation, this may have some impact. So yes, I think this problem needs to be publicized. The sooner the better.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:15 AM

lol, i tried looking up Bill Frist on wikipedia for more research and found this:

Insider Trading:
"On September 20, 2005, the Associated Press reported that Frist sold his HCA shares, which had been in a blind trust, two weeks before the company announced that earnings would not meet expectations, which caused a substantial drop in the share price."

Schiavo Case:
"Frist challenged the diagnosis of Schiavo’s physicians: "I question it based on a review of the video footage which I spent an hour or so looking at last night in my office." The Washington Post reported that Frist was criticized by a medical ethicist at Northwestern University for making a diagnosis without personally examining the patient and for questioning the diagnosis when he was not a neurologist."

Illegal Animal Experimentation:
While in medical school, Frist obtained cats from animal shelters, under pretense of adoption as pets, for school research experiments in which he killed the animals. In a 1989 autobiography, Frist described how he "spent days and nights on end in the lab, taking the hearts out of cats, dissecting each heart." After some time, Frist said "[i] lost my supply of cats," so he chose to deceive animal shelters.

Standard Hypocrisy:
"He voted for the Partial-Birth Abortion Act of 2003, voted against an amendment to include a woman's health exception (as he considered the procedure to be hazardous to a woman's health), and is opposed to all federal funding of abortion. [23] Despite this, Frist retains a large personal stock holding in the Frist family's for-profit hospital chain (Hospital Corporation of America), which provides abortions."

The obvious:
In September 2005, Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, named Frist as one of the thirteen most "corrupt" members of Congress.

We are all losing focus, the cause of all our problems is the man outlined above, not NETeller.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:37 AM

The entire tone of this thread assumes someone in congress is working in the interest of the American people. This legislation wasn't passed to protect you. Congress doesn't lobby to "do the right thing". They knew this legislation would drive out legitmate, honest businesses which will be replaced by criminal offshore outfits. And if you think Congress cares if you go broke gambling, or about you getting your money, then you live in a dream world.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:58 AM

Someone should send this into the Daily Show.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, i tried looking up Bill Frist on wikipedia for more research and found this:

Illegal Animal Experimentation:
While in medical school, Frist obtained cats from animal shelters, under pretense of adoption as pets, for school research experiments in which he killed the animals. In a 1989 autobiography, Frist described how he "spent days and nights on end in the lab, taking the hearts out of cats, dissecting each heart." After some time, Frist said " lost my supply of cats," so he chose to deceive animal shelters.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could have been worse; it could have been dogs.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How plausible is it that a large group of citizens calling their representatives (and perhaps a few favorable to our cause, e.g. Shelley Berkeley, the representative from the congressional district which contains Las Vegas) could motivate the passage of legislation that would clarify that it is legal to withdraw funds from gambling sites, at least for some specified period of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comletely, absurdly, and laughably implausible.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the cause of all our problems is the man outlined above, not NETeller.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate Bill Frist and Republicans as much as anyone but all I have to say is SUCK ON IT ***HOLE!!

Bill Frist didn't make neteller lie to me by saying "its a volume backlog... dont bother with a neteller atm card... your money will be there in a week."

Bill Frist didn't make neteller lie to me a day later when they said "your atm card is in the mail" only to tell me the next day it actually wasn't and ATM cards couldn't be used anymore. (no explanation)

Bill First didn't stop neteller from locking accounts and seizing funds of non-US members who had the audacity to accept p2p's from US customers to help them out. (completely allowed in their TOS)

Bill Frist didn't stop neteller from giving even a TINY EXPLANATION why they are stealing HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS!!

Anyone still making excuses for a company that won't even make excuses for themselves is lower than scum!!