Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Cry for help - how to not revert back to my lazy ways?

I make decent money at poker but I'm the laziest SOB ever. I have gone two or three days without leaving my apartment on several occasions. I understand to get out more, do more things, etc. But every time I try to do something about it, I can't seem to build the momentum. What I mean is I'll be active for a week or so and then fall back into my old ways.

For example, I have barely worked out for a year and a half now. When I decide to go to the gym again, I'll go three times the first week, twice the second, once the third, and then I'm like [censored] it.

Also, last month I got sick of it and took a trip to Vegas for a change of pace. When I came back, the first two days I was like in hyper mode, used to being around people all day I couldn't stand to be alone doing nothing. But that pattern always comes back really soon. This happens everytime I travel - I'm a different person on the road, but I can't seem to take that with me into my everyday life. Travelling everyday, appealing as it sounds, isn't an option at this point, because of my girlfriend - I don't want to miss her all the time and she doesn't want to be unemployed.

So, radical solutions like imposing an active schedule on myself only work in the short term. Yes I do realize it's more fun and rewarding to be active, and I know I *can* be active. But it's hard to get rid of a habit I've had for most of my life.

I realize that I've asked this before.. but the solutions I know about haven't worked for me, so I cry out for help again. Please keep me from Internet browsing hell (and too little poker).
Old 02-02-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Cry for help - how to not revert back to my lazy ways?

[ QUOTE ]
So, radical solutions like imposing an active schedule on myself only work in the short term.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're a lazy bum. The good thing is that you're aware of it, and that you're (sort of) willing to change. May I suggest a book? The Seven Habits of Highly Effective people .
Old 02-02-2007, 03:29 PM

For New Year you should have resolved to eat more and exercise less, setting your goals really low. This way you would not have all the negative emotions about yourself that you feel now.

You would have been feeling great, knowing you are a fat, lazy, degenerate gambling bum.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:34 AM

I am lazier then you. Trust me.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am lazier then you. Trust me.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 02-04-2007, 01:07 PM

How would you respond if you say a thread titled "Cry for help - how to stop pushing gutshot draws".

I'd guess your response would involve points about how poker requires discipline and that there are better spots to get your money in, etc. Well, being active is just about being disciplined to be active. If you've got the sense to make yourself play well enough to win then you've got the sense to make yourself go out.

I've had a similar problem to you and here's how I've dealt with it. Firstly, realise and work out what your daily habits are, you know the routine you through on a typical day. Second identify a gap where you could feasibly fit something else like going to the gym. Do it - go to the gym in that slot. Document it in your diary or use outlook to pop up while you are playing that it's time to go to the gym. After a week or two of forcing yourself to build this into your life, it will become a habit in the same way as you morning bathroom routine is piss, shave shower, etc (or whatever order it's in).