Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2007, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Women Are Not Oppressed.

[ QUOTE ]
That men have more options than work, work or work. If you find a willing partner, you can be a house-husband. Now, you have to find a woman who is willing to support you in that, but a woman has to find a man who'll support her staying home as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, if you're a woman who doesn't want to work anymore, you can just buy a book like this.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Or, if you're a woman who doesn't want to work anymore, you can just buy a book like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

What!!?? Stay at home!!?? Blasphemy! Treason! Where's the outrage!!??

Oh yeah, it was written by a woman. They're allowed to suggest stuff like that. Nevermind. Carry on.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If women wanted to fight on the frontlines--they would. No one would stop them. Have you ever considered what impact their presence on the frontlines would have on the men alongside them? The unit's fighting effectiveness?

Those women, undoubtedly, in your wife's company probably don't want to work on commission and take the type of risks that those traders have to take.

[/ QUOTE ]

"If women wanted to fight on the frontlines--they would."

Clearly you are in the military. Because you know (better then I) that if you can join and do anything you want. A woman who wants to fight on the frontlines of our military will simply do as they please. That's how it works. Thanks for straightening that out!

[ QUOTE ]
No one would stop them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're exactly right. The military allows it soldiers to do whatever they want. If you disobey your leaders... nothing happens. I'm glad you've really thought this out.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever considered what impact their presence on the frontlines would have on the men alongside them? The unit's fighting effectiveness?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great. Those are the same questions they've used in the past when people objected to blacks and/or gays fighting.

Do you realize if someone wanted to parody backwards gender biased right wingers they would simply write what you write?

[ QUOTE ]
Those women, undoubtedly, in your wife's company probably don't want to work on commission and take the type of risks that those traders have to take.

[/ QUOTE ]

As stunnning a response as everything else you've written. Clearly you have deep insight not only into traders but women's approach to employment in that field. I'm surprised you even used the word "probably."
Old 02-05-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a college student and I agree for the most part.

quote]

For the record... college students don't typically have the real world experience to comment on how it is for women int he real world.

"I'm in college, but here's the problems with corporate workplaces....." No credibility.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:24 PM

For the record... men don't typically have the real world experience to comment on how it is for women int he real world.

"I'm a man, but here's the problems facing women in corporate workplaces....." No credibility.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the record... men don't typically have the real world experience to comment on how it is for women int he real world.

"I'm a man, but here's the problems facing women in corporate workplaces....." No credibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

But at least a man in the workplace CAN say, "I've been involved in meetings where all the managers talked about the [censored] of an applicant and laughed at the idea of hiring said person. A man in the workplace for many years can note the disparity between women in different positions at different companies. A man in the workplace can see first hand how gender bias works in some workplaces.

The college kid railing against feminists is likely just regurgitating someone else's biases and clearly isn't a critical thinker since it hasn't crossed his mind that he can have barely ANY experience to comment on the subject yet has no problem asserting that the women are wrong.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The college kid railing against feminists is likely just regurgitating someone else's biases and clearly isn't a critical thinker since it hasn't crossed his mind that he can have barely ANY experience to comment on the subject yet has no problem asserting that the women are wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

From my point of view anyways it's not about women (or men) being wrong. I'm just arguing that there are MANY factors that go into the pay disparity between men and women. It is very easy to pick some statistic like "women earn 76 cents for every dollar a man earns", etc. and try to extrapolate some vast sexist conspiracy. This ignores the many other reasons women might earn less, many of which have to do with choices that have been traditionally available primarily to women.

Who knows, maybe in the future all pay will be equal, 50% of corporate CEOs will be women, and 50% of stay-at-home parents will be men. But until that happens I think it is unfair to paint the male sex as the villian because women still want the option to work in safer jobs, which have better hours and working conditions, and stay home with their children.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"If women wanted to fight on the frontlines--they would."

Clearly you are in the military. Because you know (better then I) that if you can join and do anything you want. A woman who wants to fight on the frontlines of our military will simply do as they please. That's how it works. Thanks for straightening that out!

[ QUOTE ]
No one would stop them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're exactly right. The military allows it soldiers to do whatever they want. If you disobey your leaders... nothing happens. I'm glad you've really thought this out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you hung up on this "military" thing? If women *want* to go fight, they can. Go buy a AK-47, travel to Iraq, and start shooting people.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:40 PM

This ignores the many other reasons women might earn less, many of which have to do with choices that have been traditionally available primarily to women.

No, really, it's virtually 100% sexism. Sorry.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, really, it's virtually 100% sexism. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true although it's an easy knee-jerk response.

Some questions:

What percentage of kindergarten teachers are male?
What percentage of coalminers are female?
Which job pays more, and which job is more dangerous to your health?

How many men leave and return to the workplace when they have kids? How many men switch to part-time work when they have kids? How many men just stop working when they have kids?

How many women take on more hours/worse job/2nd job so that their husbands can stay home?