Check behind 0 0%
Bet and fold to raise 7 53.85%
Bet and call raise 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Why should I wish to live?

"Consider living for the mere possibility that life is worth living."

Was this idea of no help? It was my first point because I thought it would be most useful to you. You may have concluded that life is very likely not worth living. However, assuming you have not reached 100% certainty, there exists the remote possibility for you that it is worth living. You can keep living as a "freeroll" so to speak and who knows, one day you might find great fulfillment.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Was this idea of no help? It was my first point because I thought it would be most useful to you. You may have concluded that life is very likely not worth living. However, assuming you have not reached 100% certainty, there exists the remote possibility for you that it is worth living. You can keep living as a "freeroll" so to speak and who knows, one day you might find great fulfillment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that it isn't a freeroll at all, because living is not free of a downside, which is kind of the point.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that it isn't a freeroll at all, because living is not free of a downside, which is kind of the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. You presuppose that there is no worse state than death. There are many lives I can conceive of, just off the top of my head, that seem absolutely inferior to death, even if death is just non-existence. These are questions of relative valuation and faith.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am in many senses a coward, it's true. I'm not making fun of anyone. I am far smarter than most people, though I find that means relatively little. Compete at what, for what? That's the question. 'Accomplish [censored]-up [censored]' seems to invariably mean 'doing more or less what everyone else on the planet is doing,' and I don't really care for the suggestions I hear on that score.

"Wake up and jump into something I have no idea how I'm going to get out of?" Can you provide a concrete example? What does that even mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres a country club near my house. when i moved in i told my wife i was going to join the club and pay for it only w/ poker and golf winnings at the club...so far so good.

[ QUOTE ]
It sounds to me like you value action for its own sake. Such people have always struck me as unbearably full of themselves, overflowing with some mysterious force that tells them that they rule and what they are doing is awesome, no matter what it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is funny. i dont do anything unless its for something. usually money even though i dont care much about money. i beleive money is an important way to keep score. the accomplishent for me is jumping ahead in line. if i see a line for something i want i say to myself, what will it take to get to the front of that line w/o waiting. if im really as smart as i think i am i should be able to do it.

[ QUOTE ]
Are you asserting that laziness is just a mislabel for cowardice, and that the quality of 'laziness' does not in fact exist? That would be an interesting line of discussion, if that's what you're saying, and you're capable of pursuing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, some people are lazy and some are cowards. if you wanrt to see lazy people go to the deep south. you are a coward.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:57 PM

"Right. You presuppose that there is no worse state than death. There are many lives I can conceive of, just off the top of my head, that seem absolutely inferior to death, even if death is just non-existence. These are questions of relative valuation and faith."

Yes, but is your life now worst than death or can you at least truck along (perhaps playing with you current values and beliefs, if you will) based on the possibility of later meaning/fulfillment?
Old 02-04-2007, 12:04 AM

"Theres a country club near my house. when i moved in i told my wife i was going to join the club and pay for it only w/ poker and golf winnings at the club...so far so good."

So what? Does this make you proud? Do you feel this is meaningful? Why? It's a completely arbitrary challenge that you invented yourself and accomplished yourself. Is that all life is?

"this is funny. i dont do anything unless its for something. usually money even though i dont care much about money. i beleive money is an important way to keep score. the accomplishent for me is jumping ahead in line. if i see a line for something i want i say to myself, what will it take to get to the front of that line w/o waiting. if im really as smart as i think i am i should be able to do it."

What line. What's 'something.' Life is about triumphing over other people? Jumping ahead of the pack? What are they chasing? Why?

"nah, some people are lazy and some are cowards. if you wanrt to see lazy people go to the deep south. you are a coward."

I am from East Texas, FWIW. I am pretty lazy, I assure you. Afraid of what? I think you and I are of very different and mutually disagreeable temperaments.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i know so many people like you its ridiculous. your problem is you're a coward. YOU ARE NOT LAZY, YOU ARE A COWARD. youve created a womb like world where you are as smart as you think you are. your afraid to venture out and find that you are...ugh...average. that you are as dumb as the people you make fun of but they just have the courage to go out and compete. heres why you should wish to live. to see what sort of f'd up shyt you can accomplish. on my best days i wake up in the morning and jump in the middle of something i have no idea how im going to get out of. it used to be every day but marriage has slowed me down. if i really had balls i woulda started a religion, that is my suggestion for you.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand this line of reasoning at all. You're trying to propose the premise that Anacardo isn't actually smarter than anyone else, but just thinks he is and is afraid to do anything productive with his life. That seems entirely flawed. I'm sure there's plenty of objective evidence that he is much more intelligent than an average person. It is entirely reasonable to suggest, as Alobar did, that these types of people have a different and more sophisticated view on life that makes it harder for them to be happy or satisfied with existence. Ignorance is bliss after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

in my experience w/ super intelligent people none behave this way. they create an existence that is satisfying. that is part of being super intelligent.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:11 AM

"in my experience w/ super intelligent people none behave this way. they create an existence that is satisfying. that is part of being super intelligent. "

I would agree. I read once that smarter kids/teenagers can have a harder time growing up, as they will question fundamentals about life, religion, etc. more than their peers, or at least at an earlier age. However, I think they mature as you suggest--to create an existence that is satisfying.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:14 AM

"It's a completely arbitrary challenge that you invented yourself and accomplished yourself. Is that all life is?"

sorta. but the accomplishment brings free golf and lotsa gambling which is fun for me. you listed some stuff you enjoy in your original post. related to those pastimes im sure are some "dream scenarios" which would make your life pretty fuqqin fun for awhile. you dont have what it takes to make those scenarios a reality because your not as smart as you think you are. you cant take someone elses place in line. you stay back with the other cowards and dullards.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:19 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Closed Thread