Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Thoughts On This Statement.....

That phrase is something that only 17 year olds and emo people worry about.

Anyone whose central theme in life is worrying what others think about them is in for a not very happy existence.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:37 PM

that seems like a statement you would see on a 19 yr old girl's myspace page
Old 02-02-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone whose central theme in life is worrying what others think about them is in for a not very happy existence.

[/ QUOTE ] Actually, thats precisely the point of the statement. You are not concerned with how people perceive you, or what people think of you.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:31 PM

Context is important. If he is saying this unconditionally, then in the case of someone he finds sexually attractive this is tantamount to saying:

"I would be rejected for who I am, than [censored] til I can't stand for who I am not"
(hate-sex aside)

Ummm, I cannot say I agree with that. I also probably wouldn't agree with the original statement in regards to most non friend aquaintences. If you really are so different in ideology that you hate me for who I am, I probably am not going to mind if you do the right thing from my perspective because you don't understand me.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Actually, thats precisely the point of the statement. You are not concerned with how people perceive you, or what people think of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are not concerned with these things why would you be concerned with whether you are understood or not? The statement IS concerned that people perceive the speaker as he perceives himself. This is very different that saying something like "I am who I am and [censored] you if you don't like it"
Old 02-02-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I would rather you hate me for who I am, than like me for who I am not"

[/ QUOTE ]

My initial thought: Who I am when I am acting against my beliefs about my "real" nature is still me.

If I act 'out of character' around certain populations of people then I am someone who acts different around certain populations. I am not being 'who I am not'. Kind of a cop out, I realize, but I think the originator of the quote does not delve into the idea that the masks we wear are all us.

KJS
Old 02-02-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as who he is doesn't involve him being outwardly racist, or mean spirited, I could get behind a statement like that. The problem is that it sounds like something a douche would say to justify whatever douche like thing he just said. It's the intellectual version of "well, I was just being honest".

[/ QUOTE ]
spot on - i know it's been quoted already, but this is the answer
Old 02-02-2007, 07:15 PM

Being honest, even painfully so, is always better in the long run. What I have a problem with is people who use a statement like, "I would rather you hate me for who I am, than like me for who I am not" as a justification for acting like an a**hole.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:48 AM

Default I Am What I Am

[ QUOTE ]
Suppose your friend was gay, and he knew you were a homophobe who couldn't deal with having a gay friend. Should he stay in the closet because he wanted you to like him?

[/ QUOTE ]If the statement is supposed to mean "I am what I am, whether you like it or not - and I wouldn't mind even if you'd hate me for what I am", then I'm alright with it.

Didn't Popeye said as much, already?