Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2007, 05:22 AM

Default Re: Dinner With A Congressman

[ QUOTE ]
show him you can play for years without losing more than like 10 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a bad idea. I would also point out that the micro stakes tables are the most populated tables at the online cardrooms. Most people playing online poker are just playing by betting a quarter here and there...recreationally. It's ridiculous to outlaw this popular pasttime for everyone when most people are just playing such small limits.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:23 AM

Try talking to him about the UK approach of regulating online gambling. How come the UK can regulate but US can't?

http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/Client/index.asp
Old 01-25-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Money, money, money. More tax revenue from taxes. More revenue for domestic corporations if they can enter the market, instead of the current situation were nondomestic companies are making a killing off of US consumers.
2. Prohibition doesn't work - see alcohol.
3. Prohibition doesn't solve the problem he is trying to prevent. He doesn't want addicts and underaged playing and doesn't want it to be used for money laundering. Forcing poker underground doesn't stop the abusers, it only stops the law abiding users from playing, domestic companies from profiting, and the US government from effectively taxing and regulating the industry. Legalizing and regulation allows for implentation of means to prevent abuse. The UK sites have done a number of things to this effect.
4. Freedom of discretionary income. If I want to spend $400 on a bottle of wine, or a round of golf, or a game of poker, it's my choice. It's entertainment.
5. Separation of church and state. Gambling is a form of entertainment paid for out of discretionary income. One's religion may prevent them from partaking in the activity, such as it does one from drinking alcohol. But our country was formed on the freedom of religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Additions/Revision.

Do NOT argue under any circumstances about morality or religion. Because you simply can not sway a personal who takes something for granted on the basis of faith, even in face of the strongest empirical evidence to the contrary. Avoid a religion discussion at all costs. If at all you should use the separation of church and state and freedom of religion as excuses not to evaluate based on that. If online poker is truly bad for the masses, he should be able to come up with non-religious reasons for it.

6. Mention the ridiculous conflicts this bill presents. Live poker is legal but online is not? Online horse betting is legal but online poker is not? Seek an understanding as to why this is so. If he proposes that he thinks all should be illegal, ask him if he thinks outlawing those is a winnable fight. If yes, ask him why his focus is online then? If no, then ask him how he possibly hopes to succeed here.

WRT the conversation on not being able to stop excessive deposits and underage use. I believe these devices are in place in the UK. I know there are deposit limits, and there are certainly age verification technology standards out there. Pushing poker underground eliminates these safeguards that would be standard in a regulated poker community.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:33 PM

Thanks for all of your thoughts, I think a few people have brought up some valid points.

No one else needs to remind me to act civil at dinner with my friend and his in-laws.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:45 PM

Current government wants to cut gasoline consumption. No gas is used walking to your computer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2007, 12:05 AM

I'm sorry if this was already stated, but here's my two cents:

I would stick with the alcohol and say this: "Since alcohol is such a risk to some people, using UIGEA logic, none of us should have the right to drink."

If he responds by saying: "Well, alchohol is regulated and heavily taxed, etc., to protect people."

You respond by saying: "Exactly, as poker should be."
Old 02-02-2007, 01:46 AM

Trip report? What did Bachus say? If this hasn't happened yet ask him if you should buy gold.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Trip report? What did Bachus say? If this hasn't happened yet ask him if you should buy gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about Spenser Bachus?
Old 02-02-2007, 03:53 PM

JBrent,

You are our lobbyist! Go get em! I will donate a dollar to the "Buy a Congressman" foundation [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-16-2007, 08:28 PM

well, wha happen