Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Fashion - Going Out (Without Coming Out!)

[ QUOTE ]
where do you live jbrent?

[/ QUOTE ]

Brimingham and Austin. I know boots are acceptable in those places, but I was wondering about other, big cities. When I am in NY I rarely see anyone wearing them. I was curious if this immediately pegs me as a redneck cowboy.

Which I'm not.

I hope.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:31 PM

Sorry Brent, but I don't think you'll see anybody wearing shoes like that anywhere but the South. I'm guessing you wear Levi's or Wrangler's as well, which I'm sure fits in in Texas. I'm guessing if you wore that in NY, they would immediately assume you were from down South. The problem with this is that most have negative stereotypes about the South being full of "rednecks". So yeah, unfortunately there are some who probably think you are a redneck.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry Brent, but I don't think you'll see anybody wearing shoes like that anywhere but the South. I'm guessing you wear Levi's or Wrangler's as well, which I'm sure fits in in Texas. I'm guessing if you wore that in NY, they would immediately assume you were from down South. The problem with this is that most have negative stereotypes about the South being full of "rednecks". So yeah, unfortunately there are some who probably think you are a redneck.

[/ QUOTE ]

You confirm my supicions about the redneck stereotype, but you guessed wrong about the Levi's and Wrangler's. A little more evidence that stereotypes often turn out to be incorrect.
C'est la vie, I like wearing boots.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry Brent, but I don't think you'll see anybody wearing shoes like that anywhere but the South. I'm guessing you wear Levi's or Wrangler's as well, which I'm sure fits in in Texas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Levi's are pretty standard everywhere.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:03 PM

Boots are badass, particularly if they are old and weathered...and probably more-so in non-texan places.

ahnuld, thanks, I suspected that it was played out. Sad because I hate wearing jackets. However, I would look like a tool wearing a buttondown shirt at the places I go to. So I'm gonna switch to brightly colored tshirt under darker tshirt once the weather gets nice.

--GA
Old 02-02-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wookie, All,

I recently considered picking up a velvet blazer but backed out at the last moment as it just didn't feel right. However this could have just been a result of my insecurities.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think you'd get longer wear out of a cashmere jacket than a velvet one. You'd still get that sumptuous feeling, but with a style that is classic and not likely to go out of fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Velvet will last longer.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:11 PM

And Brent, if you like wearing boots then that's all that matters. I am curious as to what kind of jeans you wear, though. I'm just moved out of a big farming community, so I'm used to the jeans and boots look and it's usually always one of those two. So, my guess wasn't really based on stereotypes but on experience.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And Brent, if you like wearing boots then that's all that matters. I am curious as to what kind of jeans you wear, though. I'm just moved out of a big farming community, so I'm used to the jeans and boots look and it's usually always one of those two. So, my guess wasn't really based on stereotypes but on experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sevens and Armani Exchange are what I wear when I am going out. For work I wear Carhart.

Neither Austin, Tx nor Birmingham, Al. are very big farming communities, FWIW.

Oddly enough when I'm in the woods I don't wear jeans at all . I have a couple of pairs of
and wear them with these:

Lots of sticker bushes and snakes in the South [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2007, 02:22 PM

FWIW, I routinely wear a 10-year old pair of dark brown bullhide Nocona boots with Lucky, Club Monaco, and Express jeans.

They look a bit like these, except with quite a lot of wear:

Old 02-02-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For shoes, I highly reccomend the Bruno Magli "Raisi" Slip On's. They usually run about $350 a pair and are the most comfortable dress/going out shoe I have ever worn. I have a pair of brown and black and wear one of the two almost everyday. They go perfect with a suit but are also casual enough to wear with a nice pair of "going out" jeans. I would seriously compare the comfort level of these shoes to running shoes. Before anyone asks, yes these are the "infamous" OJ shoes that were used as evidence in his trial.

On sale at Nordstrom now...

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/2375436/...375435~2375436

[/ QUOTE ]

To be a nit, while OJ was wearing "ugly ass" Bruno Magli's, it was a different model, supposedly rare. (Wikipedia says it is the "Lorenzo" model).

To traditionalists, you don't wear slip-ons with a suit. But few people follow that rule. And those shoes look nice enough for almost anyone to wear with a suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I stand corrected on the OJ part, thanks NIT. Anyways, those shoes rule either way. Until recently, I wouldn't have worn slip-ons with a suit, but I think its totally acceptable now, especially with those ones.

I have to agree with Fluffpop on the Fashion Valley Nordstrom. IMO, its the best Nordstrom I have ever been too. I have almost exclusively done all my wardrobe shopping over the last 4 years there. They always seem to get stuff in quicker than all the other Nordstroms. (Plus I dated the manager of the shoe department there for 3 1/2 years and got the discount) Nordstrom is definitly a one stop place for everything wardrobe related, and yes, they have the best, no questions, no receipt asked policy anywhere.