Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 03:55 AM

Default Make this hand better

This hand was the first hand of a rebuy tourney I played at a B&M here in LA. I, along with 3 other players rebought up front to bring our stacks to 2500. The other 6 folks were at 500.

I get dealt ATo in the CO. 2 calls to me, I call, button call, complete, check.

Flop A, T, 3 with two diamonds on board. I have no diamond. I bet 300 into a pot of 500.

button folds, SB calls, all others fold.

Turn is 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB moves all in.

To me, this was an obvious fold, since he made his draw(of whatever kind) there at the turn. How do I keep him from chasing? I bet 60% of the pot on the flop. Bet more? Should I just shove? Do I even want callers on the flop bet?

HELP!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Make this hand better

Push preflop.

As played, and since it's a rebuy, call. There's a good chance you're ahead, and if you're not you have outs. Plus, rebuy rebuy rebuy!
Old 02-02-2007, 04:58 AM

Instacall.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:35 AM

dont push the flop as you want the flush draws to call aslong as they are not getting correct odds. Your flop bet was fine. Yes instacall double up or rebuy
Old 02-02-2007, 05:40 AM

you need a head examination if you fold here... if he gets there good for him... rebuy if he does
Old 02-02-2007, 05:52 AM

I do not call 2 limpers with ATo. If I was going to play it, I would have to raise to 1. Buy the Button. 2. Force the Blinds out, or to pay a premium to play.
I am not saying that because the SB may have a Flush; I'm saying it because ATo is a weak hand. Unsuited hands do not play well in multiway pots. Weak/suited hands do not play as well as strong suited hands. AJs is stronger than ATs.
I would have loved to have been in that seat and had JTs with the blinds coming along, long before I'd consider ATo a good hand to be drawing to against 4 opponents.
You do realize that the odds of flopping 2 pair is almost 49:1.
In addition, since nobody raised, people are drawing to KQ,QJ,QT,KT. So, if a K/Q hits the Board on the Flop, along with a Ten/Ace, everyone has outs. You're on the offensive when it's A/x & K/Q on the Flop, however, when it's K or Q & T/x on the Flop, you're drawing to a gutshot and middle/bottom pair.
You need a lot of people in the tourney, spending a lot on rebuys, to make it worth calling the all-in, as you will have to do it over and over again if you're going to play that way. You can't pick & choose the times you do/don't call an all-in.
ATo is not one of those hands I pay the price of the BB to see a Flop when there are 3 players left to act. 65s is, but not ATo.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:08 AM

Utz, I am guilty of calling with A10o in this situation on the basis that If an A flops then I can be pretty sure I have the best hand and Ax will call me down to the river. Also I want to keep the pot small with a small hand.

However, I think I need to reassess this. If I think I have the best hand on the flop if an A drops then I probably have the best hand preflop and should be raising for value preflop. "Good things happen when you raise" especially if you don't hit your Ace and continuation bet the flop.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Utz, I am guilty of calling with A10o in this situation on the basis that If an A flops then I can be pretty sure I have the best hand and Ax will call me down to the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can never be sure of having the best hand with top pair Ten kicker. A lot of people will limp from early position with a better A looking for a raise behind or to disguise strenght.

With regard to the hand, it is a preflop fold the majority of the time and maybe a raise occasionally(based on solid reads such as early position players limping a lot with marginal hands). I guess it is a raise more often in a rebuy tourney than a freezout but still is a fold more often than not. AT is not a hand I am playing to hit top pair only in a multiway pot. Any hand I am calling with in a multiway pot, I looking for strong draws or two pair+. 65s etc are much better for this as they have more str8 draws and its easy to get away when you dont flop a very strong hand.

Regarding your after the turn play, I am calling as it is a rebuy tourney.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Utz, I am guilty of calling with A10o in this situation on the basis that If an A flops then I can be pretty sure I have the best hand and Ax will call me down to the river. Also I want to keep the pot small with a small hand.

However, I think I need to reassess this. If I think I have the best hand on the flop if an A drops then I probably have the best hand preflop and should be raising for value preflop. "Good things happen when you raise" especially if you don't hit your Ace and continuation bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since nobody raised, you probably did have the better hand over the two limpers, however, they could have KJ/QJ etc and the Blinds could have suited hands and Ax & I've lost with AK v. A7 etc.

I don't believe in letting the blinds in cheap in tournaments with hands like ATo.

You are in kind of a pickle, however, since the two limpers could have KJ/QJ, and flop a pair with no ace. However, you do have the best hand going in and letting the blinds in does nothing but increase your chances of losing.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:49 PM

Thanks for the help guys.