Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: I\'m moving to NYC: advice on where to live

[ QUOTE ]
Are there neighborhoods in Brooklyn that I should consider? What's the upside of Brooklyn?

[/ QUOTE ]

park slope, cobble hill, carroll gardens, brooklyn heights - all great great neighborhoods.

upside - more relaxed, neighborhood away from the huge buildings and nyc grind feel, more space and cheaper rent , more attractive and generally better commercial areas (in my opinion).

downside - longer commute (though for times square, many places in park slope and other places, close to either the N, Q, 2 or 3, will get you there in less than 30 minutes), not as much convenience (not as many 24 hr establishments), and people are often reluctant to come to you to hang out since the nightlife is better in manhattan
Old 02-01-2007, 04:17 PM

Im a moron. Didnt see the parenthesis...carry on
Old 02-01-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I want an easy subway ride, or walk, to Times Sq.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this important? Just curious...

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever been to NYC? It's a pain in the ass if you have to change subways, walk 10+ blocks, ect. every day.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:28 PM

Gramercy Park.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
west village. great neighborhood, and close to subways that take you less than 10 minutes to get to times square.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's almost no way, even if you lived on top of a 2/3 station and considered 14th st. part of the west village, that you could get to times square in 10 minutes. More realistically it's going to be 2-3 times that.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:40 PM

Upper West Side (east of Amsterdam) or West Village would be my top choices. For $3k you'll be able to find a nicely sized (600-800 square feet) 1BR in either of those areas. I wouldn't bother looking in Hell's Kitchen, Brooklyn, Chelsea, or anywhere else. With your budget you don't have to.

You're not going to find any open areas in the NYC where you can let your dogs run without a leash (during the daytime at least). Get rid of them if you can, as they are going to greatly diminish your chances of finding a nice, clean apartment.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's almost no way, even if you lived on top of a 2/3 station and considered 14th st. part of the west village, that you could get to times square in 10 minutes. More realistically it's going to be 2-3 times that.

[/ QUOTE ]
apologize if i wasn't clear before, but the subway rides themselves take less than 10 minutes between Union Square and Times Square. it's less than 2 miles away. but obviously door to door will be longer, though you could definitely pull a 20 min commute if you lived close to union square.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
apologize if i wasn't clear before, but the subway rides themselves take less than 10 minutes between Union Square and Times Square. it's less than 2 miles away. but obviously door to door will be longer, though you could definitely pull a 20 min commute if you lived close to union square.

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you talking about Union Square or the west village?
Old 02-01-2007, 04:50 PM

Nice thing about working in Times Square is nearly every subway line runs through it. Bad part is you'll be hating life everyday trying to push your way through the tourists staring up at the billboards.

As far as living goes, I'd recommend the Upper West Side. Couple reasons:

1. Comparatively, $2500 - $3000 doesn't get you a lot of space downtown

2. Downtown is more competitive when finding apts, and because of this, much less dog-friendly - I tried to get a place in the West Village a few years back w/ a dog, and maybe 20% of apartments were dog-friendly (at most).

3. Central and Riverside Park are both great for dogs.

IMO, the only downside is a lack of good restaurants, but you can always hop in a cab.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Upper West Side (east of Amsterdam) or West Village would be my top choices. For $3k you'll be able to find a nicely sized (600-800 square feet) 1BR in either of those areas. I wouldn't bother looking in Hell's Kitchen, Brooklyn, Chelsea, or anywhere else. With your budget you don't have to.

You're not going to find any open areas in the NYC where you can let your dogs run without a leash (during the daytime at least). Get rid of them if you can, as they are going to greatly diminish your chances of finding a nice, clean apartment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm certainly apprehensive about finding a great place where I can have my dogs. I'm sure it's feasible though. I see dog owners all over nyc. Also, I know that there are dog runs in the city, as listed here:

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_thing...html#manhattan