Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Donkey Straddles

[ QUOTE ]
Not an awful lot of poker advice been given here so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

... and it hasn't even been a week. DAMN our lazy asses!

"I personally don't like the straddles"

That was obvious from the getgo.

"I agree if I have premiums then i'm fine, but if I have an advantage against these guys it's postflop, and the big straddles turn it into a preflop game."

"Also, I agree that sometimes solid players will straddle"

These two sentences indicate that you have a lot to think about, concerning poker, and you might be a little full of yourself vis a vis poker skills.
Or, you just might not be coming off in the right manner.

Anyway, if you're sitting in a restraddling game and you're only going in with 25-12 BB (and you obviously aren't comfortable with being short-stacked), then you are setting yourself up for failure.

Don't assume they're all donkeys- it could be YOU that's playing badly, for the game conditions. It's too hard to tell from your brief, angst-filled descriptions.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:49 AM

Nits always assume only a donkey straddles.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:10 PM

Apologies if I gave you the wrong impression. Perhaps I shouldn't have called them donkey straddles. In this game, and I mean this specific game, it is the players who consistantly lose who are straddling, hence donkey straddles.

Essentially I'm just waiting for JJ+ in this game and reraising about 4x the straddle. Then I'm playing pretty aggro from the flop onwards when I think I'm good (non-flushing / straightening boards). This seems to work okay but i'm posting here to get more detailed thoughts on strategy adjustments.

If you're going to reply, can we keep this discussion to poker strategy?
Old 02-01-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, if you're sitting in a restraddling game and you're only going in with 25-12 BB (and you obviously aren't comfortable with being short-stacked), then you are setting yourself up for failure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean by setting myself up for failure, could you explain this?

100bb is the max buyin allowed for this game. Should I see if I can get the max buyin increased? Or should I buyin with a short stack and push with reasonable hands?
Old 02-02-2007, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean by setting myself up for failure, could you explain this?

100bb is the max buyin allowed for this game. Should I see if I can get the max buyin increased? Or should I buyin with a short stack and push with reasonable hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

You might describe the way the straddles work - a player can straddle for any amount? If not I don't see how a restradle gets you up to 8BB's.

In any case, if you're sitting on 100BB's it doesn't seem like a PF pushing contest even with 8BB in the straddle. If its a more reasonable 2-4BB's you've got plenty of play with 100 BB stacks.

--Zetack
Old 02-02-2007, 06:09 PM

if they are the types to raise after straddling then limp raising AQ+ TT+ seems solid.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:10 PM

you must go for steals my brother.