Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Squeeze Gone.. Weird

My 2nd hand at the table. The 1st hand was Weak Tite raising from UTG+1 and taking blinds. UTG is Weak Tite (who is a 14/11.5). Button is unknown.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Button ($157.55)
Hero ($100)
BB ($111.35)
UTG ($101.50)
MP ($219.85)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $4</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $4, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $16</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $157.55</font>, Hero

1. Do you like this squeeze here?
2. Do you ever call Button's cold-call/shove?
Old 02-01-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Squeeze Gone.. Weird

I've called these from shortstacks quite often and found a reasonable mix of low pairs (he puts you on AK) and KK-type hands that he was trapping with.

The raise is way too big here though. I dunno about the squeeze - it was UTG who opened, he has 11.5 PFR, he probably has something more often than not, plus he's in position.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:44 PM

weird hand....I can't see button having an ultra premium holding here. Nobody would cold call aces on the button hoping to get an OOP raise from the SB so that they can reraise. He's probably putting you on a squeeze and he's right. The problem is, I think realistically even if he's got a bad holding, he's still 50/50 to beat you and you could be crushed, so obviously this is an easy fold.

I've tried similar squeezes before but you want do trap the semi-decent lag in between you and a weak/tight so that you'll squeeze the lag, get him to fold, and the weak/tight dude will fold. This looks like you got it backwards and squeezed the w/t and didn't squeeze the lag.

I never call this shove unless I've got a solid read on button as being a moron and even then I fold unless i'm thinking he'll stack off to someone else first.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
weird hand....I can't see button having an ultra premium holding here. Nobody would cold call aces on the button hoping to get an OOP raise from the SB so that they can reraise. He's probably putting you on a squeeze and he's right. The problem is, I think realistically even if he's got a bad holding, he's still 50/50 to beat you and you could be crushed, so obviously this is an easy fold.

I've tried similar squeezes before but you want do trap the semi-decent lag in between you and a weak/tight so that you'll squeeze the lag, get him to fold, and the weak/tight dude will fold. This looks like you got it backwards and squeezed the w/t and didn't squeeze the lag.

I never call this shove unless I've got a solid read on button as being a moron and even then I fold unless i'm thinking he'll stack off to someone else first.

[/ QUOTE ]
The other explanation is that he was trapping UTG with AA or KK. Those hands aren't auto-3-bets afterall.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:02 PM

Good squeeze. Pretty easy fold. He likely has a middle pairish hand or AK. You're either slightly (less likely) ahead or way behind.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:07 PM

I'd rather just call. As played, I never call the shove.