Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 06:10 AM

Default Re: How would you play KK in this situation?

[ QUOTE ]

BB (Hero) 850 chips - has a very tight image, hasn't played a single hand yet

[/ QUOTE ]

How come? I can bet my testicles on that you've missed plenty of valueable situations where you should've called a limp, or even a raise, pre-flop instead of folding. When playing deep early on in a tourney, you should play a lot of hands in position against your loose opponents. Risk a few cheap calls in the early streets and bring out the big guns on turn and river when you have a turned a big hand out of what initially looked like garbage.

Besides missing tons of valueable opportunities, you're creating a too tight image, which results in not being able to get your opponents chips when you raise your good hands.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How come? I can bet my testicles on that you've missed plenty of valueable situations where you should've called a limp, or even a raise, pre-flop instead of folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I folded so much was because I hadn't gotten ANY good cards. 95% percent of my hole cards where stuff like 10/2o, 8/3s, 5/2o and so.
Since I normally would put myself into the tight-aggressive style, these hand won't meet my starting requirements during the early tourney stages...
The only playable hand I had before was J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], with which I limped in and had to fold preflop to a 100 raise with 20/40 blinds and only 1 player.
I know, that playing too tight is as wrong as playing too loose, but still, what do you wanna do if you just don't get the cards....

BTW: I asked him afterwards, how he would have reacted to a raise on the flop. His answer was to throw his hand away. I played the hand the way I did because I had a pretty good read on him (1 pair).
But it's good to see, that there are other opinions... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2007, 07:11 AM

TheStich,

both you and villain played this horribly (well, you couldn't really play it horribly on the flop, but your thought process is so skewed I'll call it horrible anyways). If your opponent would have folded if you raised 300 chips more on the flop, he is beyond horrible, but it still would have been the right play by an incredibly wide margin.

In short, since I've used the word 'horrible' way too much, this was horrible.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he had turned over 89o this post would have had a completely different tone.

So we learned something tonight: there is more than one way to be results-oriented.

[/ QUOTE ]
True!
But what it showed to me, was that sometimes gut feeling is enough to justify a play like this and that slowplaying can be a very good strategy when you have an extremely tight image.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for helping me prove my point.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:31 PM

Normally this is the wrong play...but Last Night I was in the same spot. Image very tight..no cards..limp attempts preempted by AIs and such. Get QQ in MP and bet the normal table starter(3BB) Everyone folds. Two hands later get AK and same result. Limping at least one of these hands would have been a better option. ....The table then went 40 minutes without a uncontested pot.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Normally this is the wrong play...but Last Night I was in the same spot. Image very tight..no cards..limp attempts preempted by AIs and such.

[/ QUOTE ]
o rly
Old 02-01-2007, 02:34 PM

You have to raise the A small hands off this if they call and an A hits well that happens but its better than giving the A for free. Playing hands in this trappy way can get you into trouble and also stop you making bluffs later. If they both fold I probably show them the KK for this reason.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to raise the A small hands off this if they call and an A hits well that happens but its better than giving the A for free. Playing hands in this trappy way can get you into trouble and also stop you making bluffs later. If they both fold I probably show them the KK for this reason.

[/ QUOTE ]
Uh...what?
Old 02-01-2007, 03:30 PM

Not raising with KK for fear of not getting any action is wrong.

You can not defend this. You need to hear this clearly. It is wrong and your play in this hand was very bad.

If you think that people will fold when you raise preflop then what should that tell you? You should be raising preflop A LOT more often.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How come? I can bet my testicles on that you've missed plenty of valueable situations where you should've called a limp, or even a raise, pre-flop instead of folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only playable hand I had before was J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], with which I limped in and had to fold preflop to a 100 raise with 20/40 blinds and only 1 player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Use your ultra-tight image and raise with that J9.