Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: AJs
fold 23 100.00%
call 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2007, 05:46 AM

Default Re: Top Chef Finale 1/31

I love how the editing made it seem like Michael submarined Marcel. The furtive looks around the kitchen as he exits the walk-in, the interview quote, Marcel discovering numerous missing items... it all made me think Michael deliberately sold him short. Until I thought about how ridiculous that is, and how, if Marcel spotted two round pans of sauce or whatever missing, how would he not see a main protein in a pan in the same cooler? I thought the editors did an especially good job playing up Marcel "stealing" Michael, and then having that come back to bite him.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Damn, Ilan wins. I hate that guy and am not at all impressed by his cuisine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate him too. For all the complaining about Marcel's personality, if there's one person's I wouldn't put above it, it's Ilan's.

Although Elia's backstabbing really sucked too. I love how she got caught a couple times complaining about Marcel's performance in the final without having actually tasted his food. She was just on hate-autopilot.

And frankly, it seems to me Ilan was the very instrumental in keeping that going and increasing it throughout the last half of the competition. Even in his final words to the judges, he got multiple jabs in at Marcel. Holy crap man, give the hate a break! Very disgusting.

Oh, and Spanish food again? Okay. In Hawaii. Okey doke.

And that from someone who repeatedly makes fun of other people's cooking.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well that sucked, I thought Marcel killed that challenge and Ilan did the same [censored] he has done every week. But the judges got to eat it and they know more about food than me so I guess I can't really say that they made the wrong choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

The judges blogs explain it pretty well. I thought Marcel too. The blogs really help show the whole story.

b
Old 02-01-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well that sucked, I thought Marcel killed that challenge and Ilan did the same [censored] he has done every week. But the judges got to eat it and they know more about food than me so I guess I can't really say that they made the wrong choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

The judges blogs explain it pretty well. I thought Marcel too. The blogs really help show the whole story.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for pointing out the blogs. Yeah, Tom's two main criticisms with Marcel's meal were the second course salad and missing the fish in the third course. Even though the third course came out really well, Tom said it was odd to have two all-vegetable dishes in a row. Tom said that Ilan's only big mistake was having canned eel instead of fresh eel. Also consider the different attitudes of Betty and Elia, who were just glowing about Ilan (and I just rolled my eyes when Elia said that the judges couldn't pick Marcel, that it was unfair, blah blah blah). But compared to Sam and Michael...who were critical of Marcel in the kitchen, I guess I can see Ilan winning. Even though it's mostly Spanish food all over again. Also, Tom said that Marcel's execution with his molecular stuff is great, but isn't as technically sound as Ilan's Spanish cooking.

ScottieK
Old 02-01-2007, 11:22 AM

Using canned eels while having access to the best fresh seafood in the world should have gotten Ilan immediately disqualified.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:37 AM

Meh.

I watched this after a pretty [censored] night (trip report will follow) but I thought this was lame.

Ilan did the same stuff he always does, which is stuff he didn't make up. Marcel kinda [censored] himself/got [censored]. I haven't read the blogs yet, so that should be interesting.

I think the person who came out the worst was still Elia, she just looks more and more like an idiot and a brat every time she's on TV.

Betty, btw, is still horrible and useless in the kitchen.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:03 PM

Pretty much a complete joke that Sam didn't win this thing. I'm sure if each judge voted on who they thought was the best chef overall - or who they would want to build a restaurant around - it would be Sam. I can see the "Ilan is more polished than Marcel" argument, but Ilan more polished than Sam?? No. Something must have happened behind the scenes for the bald judge to suddenly bring up the "nothing cooked" excuse for Sam being eliminated.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, which is why ilan chose her as a sous-chef with $100,000 on the line. please stop pretending that you know what you're talking about.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Link?
Old 02-01-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, which is why ilan chose her as a sous-chef with $100,000 on the line. please stop pretending that you know what you're talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

The lesser of evils is still evil. Betty sucks. Maybe she is a decent cook, but she is about as fake and annoying as someone can get. Ilan probably felt like he could control her more than the others.