Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Player taking forrevverrrrr to decide

We have one of these in our home game. We just keep pointing out that he's not on TV and Mike Sexton isn't discussing what he should do in the background. That usually hurries him up
Old 02-01-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really hate the advice I am about to give. I really, really hate it.

Next time you are in a pot against him, take more time than he usually takes. Play with your chips, talk to yourself, etc. I hate that advice, but it might get a message across.

Even if the guy doesn't get it, the other players might see two guys doing this and start a clock or something else on their own.

I hate this advice. It's passive-aggressive. Good luck dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do this exactly but then fold face up with absolute rags and say something like "i feel good about my decision and the thought process that went into it."
Old 02-02-2007, 01:15 AM

Ape,
I feel you on this one, we have a kid that does the same thing on almost every hand. Bad thing is he's the biggest fish in the whole game so we have to be careful not to chase him out. What we do now is use a minuature hour glass. It's actually only 1 or 2 minutes though not a whole hour (obv). It is a very direct yet non confrontational way to deal with these types of players. I think its only fair to the other players in the game that there be some sort of time regulation for the slow thinkers. Usually we have one person who holds the clock, you can rotate who this person is week to week. In fact to break it in let the lagger be the first to run the clock. Anyway we usually let someone think for about 30 sec or so then we just turn over the minute glass and wait. As it gets close to running out we say 20 seconds or 10 seconds or whatever. After it runs out if a person doesnt act then the hand is folded. Let players be aware when the game starts that the same rule applies for everybody but dont abuse the clock on people. Sometimes players that usually act quickly may have a tough decision to make and need the extra time. In these rare cases I wouldnt grab the clock unless someone requests it, but with the guys that take forever I wait a few seconds, if it looks like hes going into the tank I quietly turn over the timer and set it in the middle of the table where he can see it.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ape,
I feel you on this one, we have a kid that does the same thing on almost every hand. Bad thing is he's the biggest fish in the whole game so we have to be careful not to chase him out. What we do now is use a minuature hour glass. It's actually only 1 or 2 minutes though not a whole hour (obv). It is a very direct yet non confrontational way to deal with these types of players. I think its only fair to the other players in the game that there be some sort of time regulation for the slow thinkers. Usually we have one person who holds the clock, you can rotate who this person is week to week. In fact to break it in let the lagger be the first to run the clock. Anyway we usually let someone think for about 30 sec or so then we just turn over the minute glass and wait. As it gets close to running out we say 20 seconds or 10 seconds or whatever. After it runs out if a person doesnt act then the hand is folded. Let players be aware when the game starts that the same rule applies for everybody but dont abuse the clock on people. Sometimes players that usually act quickly may have a tough decision to make and need the extra time. In these rare cases I wouldnt grab the clock unless someone requests it, but with the guys that take forever I wait a few seconds, if it looks like hes going into the tank I quietly turn over the timer and set it in the middle of the table where he can see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone is ok with this system? Even the person who takes a long time?
Old 02-02-2007, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ape,

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone is ok with this system? Even the person who takes a long time?

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely. Actually it brings a chuckle to the table when the timer is brought out. Dont get me wrong, we dont use it on everyhand but you can usually tell when someone will be a while discretion is best.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:59 AM

Start loudly humming the final Jeapardy music.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:30 AM

Explain NICELY that you're going to try out a 30 second (or less?) clock rule, because you think that everyone will get more hands in that way. No need to be confrontational yet against the slowpoke.

If he continues to be a problem, THEN Zetack has a good reminder method :P
Old 02-14-2007, 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We have one of these in our home game. We just keep pointing out that he's not on TV and Mike Sexton isn't discussing what he should do in the background. That usually hurries him up

[/ QUOTE ]

A+
Old 02-14-2007, 09:02 AM

Hi jack,
What is the longest anyone takes to make a decision?
Once a night I need 20 seconds.
Twice a night I need 10 seconds.
Twice a night I hollywood for 20 seconds.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:33 PM

What's the matter with you guys, clocks are for weennies.
When it happens while you are the dealer, use your authority and take charge.

As soon as the action is on him declare such, after 5 seconds tell him what his options are, if you are still waiting another 5 seconds tell him "let's go".

Just like training a dog, repetition is the key. Do this everytime it is your deal. Attack all offenders equally, but use discretion and cut some slack if it looks like the situation warrants a tough decision.

One of two things will happen, both are good. Either he will start playing faster or he will start getting irritated. Understand that that irritation is the first step towards tilt and a tilting player is +EV for you.