Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Phil Ivey Gossip

Now, for the second time, Mr. Rodman has appeared and validated every key point I've made in this thread. Of course, I get flamed and he gets "great post, Blair". That's the price for posting anonymously, I suppose.

In any event, thanks to Blair for his support and his on-point posts, and thanks to all those who engaged in such a spirited debate last night. I can't believe I stayed up until 0430 fulfilling my role as lone voice in the wilderness, but so I did. I can't help it; I so love a good street fight.

BTW Fatshaft, I'll gladly retract the "insufferable Brit" remark if you recant the "pompous oaf" attack that instigated it.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, for the second time, Mr. Rodman has appeared and validated every key point I've made in this thread. Of course, I get flamed and he gets "great post, Blair". That's the price for posting anonymously, I suppose.

In any event, thanks to Blair for his support and his on-point posts, and thanks to all those who engaged in such a spirited debate last night. I can't believe I stayed up until 0430 fulfilling my role as lone voice in the wilderness, but so I did. I can't help it; I so love a good street fight.

BTW Fatshaft, I'll gladly retract the "insufferable Brit" remark if you recant the "pompous oaf" attack that instigated it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude ... this is the [censored] Internet and you want credit because you were on the right side of a thread? Next thing you know you will be demanding apologies.

BTW, the reason Blair gets "good posts" and you don't is that he posted in a civil manner, you didn't (not that you and I mixed up ... just an observation). Plus, he wrote a cool poker book and you didn't. Plus he has contributed here for a while and you haven't. Plus he has been on TV and we don't know if you have. Plus ... ah, never mind.

NCAces
Old 02-01-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude ... this is the [censored] Internet and you want credit because you were on the right side of a thread? Next thing you know you will be demanding apologies.

BTW, the reason Blair gets "good posts" and you don't is that he posted in a civil manner, you didn't (not that you and I mixed up ... just an observation). Plus, he wrote a cool poker book and you didn't. Plus he has contributed here for a while and you haven't. Plus he has been on TV and we don't know if you have. Plus ... ah, never mind.

NCAces

[/ QUOTE ]Don't know why you come to that conclusion, but quite obviously Ivey cheated, ayone argueing otherwise is on the wrong side of the thread.

You seem to assume that Blair is right because of the possibility that side bets may have been involved, oozzies, swizzlers, golden ferrets - do you see anyopne complaining about or even mentioning these side bets? I don't, the whole thing is about Ivey lying aafter being asked a straightforward question about his current allowance from Lindgren.

FWIW, I would doubt there have ever been any side bets, Ivey until his recent teaching was obviously a complete rabbit, against a scratch and 5 handicapper he would have been caned on any side bets.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It’s fair to say that a country club sandbagger and a professional gambler/hustler expose themselves to similar fates…

The sandbagger will be identified and ostracized, socially, as well as on-course, and the damage to his reputation will likely extend to his business dealings in the broader community as well.

The hustler, if he breaks a generally-agreed-upon gambler’s code, and does not correct his error after a renegotiation, will become an isolated pariah.

Greed is not good because, in the long run, it ain’t profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]Unless you are one of the most famous poker faces on the planet, in which case people will defend you until only their feet are showing.

Apparently
Old 02-01-2007, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't know why you come to that conclusion, but quite obviously Ivey cheated, ayone argueing otherwise is on the wrong side of the thread.

You seem to assume that Blair is right because of the possibility that side bets may have been involved, oozzies, swizzlers, golden ferrets - do you see anyopne complaining about or even mentioning these side bets? I don't, the whole thing is about Ivey lying aafter being asked a straightforward question about his current allowance from Lindgren.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is clear that you have a reading comprehension problem. Per the Blair post and others referred to here, that is nature of the high stakes wagering ... lying included. No need in discussing this any more if you aren't open to the idea that they may be involved in wagering you can't understand.

I am not saying he didn't lie, and I am not saying that there would be scenarios in which his lying would be relevant. But, it appears the game they were playing aren't that scenario.

NCAces
Old 02-01-2007, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It is clear that you have a reading comprehension problem. Per the Blair post and others referred to here, that is nature of the high stakes wagering ... lying included. No need in discussing this any more if you aren't open to the idea that they may be involved in wagering you can't understand.

I am not saying he didn't lie, and I am not saying that there would be scenarios in which his lying would be relevant. But, it appears the game they were playing aren't that scenario.

NCAces

[/ QUOTE ]not at all NC, from what Marc has openly stated on blonde, it is pretty easy to see that this was nothing more than a golf game played for high stakes, nothing that has been said in any way looks similar to what Blair refers to, which is gambling played with golf clubs, not golf with a wager involved.

The size of the wager is irrelevant, players play for what they can afford or makes it interesting for them, I imagine that if Marc and Phile were going to play $5/$5/$5 they'd find it pretty boring and pointless.

Ivey lied about the amount of strokes he received in his most recent golf game with Lindgren, this was golf with a side bet, and as all the golfers on this thread have pointed out, is totally despicable behaviour to be displayed anywhere near a gold course.

At the end of the day, Ivey should give up golf if he thinks that is the accepted standard.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It’s fair to say that a country club sandbagger and a professional gambler/hustler expose themselves to similar fates…

The sandbagger will be identified and ostracized, socially, as well as on-course, and the damage to his reputation will likely extend to his business dealings in the broader community as well.

The hustler, if he breaks a generally-agreed-upon gambler’s code, and does not correct his error after a renegotiation, will become an isolated pariah.

[/ QUOTE ]Unless you are one of the most famous poker faces on the planet, in which case people will defend you until only their feet are showing.

Apparently

[/ QUOTE ]

Or people will find you guilty based on the losers opinion of how things went down even though said people have been told over and over and over again that they have no clue how these games go down.

They screwed up. It's that simple. Pay your bets,learn from your mistakes andnext tie don't be in such a hurry to get action.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Apparently

[/ QUOTE ]

Or people will find you guilty based on the losers opinion of how things went down even though said people have been told over and over and over again that [/b]they have no clue how these games go down[/b].

They screwed up. It's that simple. Pay your bets,learn from your mistakes andnext tie don't be in such a hurry to get action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flacks, I'll repeat what I posted above. We are not talking about "these games", I have also said that, what Blair is refering to is not golf, what Marc and Ram were playing was golf as they had every time they played Ivey, what you're claiming is that not only is it okay to lie about your handicap, but also to completely switch to a different game with no rules that only one side is aware of.

If that is the case, then Ivey is doubly guilty, not less so.

[ QUOTE ]
at Marc has openly stated on blonde, it is pretty easy to see that this was nothing more than a golf game played for high stakes, nothing that has been said in any way looks similar to what Blair refers to, which is gambling played with golf clubs, not golf with a wager involved.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-01-2007, 01:12 PM

Anyone who still thinks Ivey cheated has an inflated sense of morality and a warped sense of reality. You aren't comprehending the world in which the bets are being made.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ergo Ivey is a cheat, simple as that.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at calling Ivey a cheat based on third hand gossip.

Tuco.

[/ QUOTE ]

Third hand? Try first.