Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Re: My turn for a weightlifting/fitness thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TxRedMan,

Wow. You are really flooring me with your lack of basic knowledge. Maybe you should work out some short of linear periodization also since nothing major has changed in the last 20 years of weight training.

[/ QUOTE ]

when arnold compiled his encyclopedia of bodybuilding, very little was left to be said.

answer me this:

why was kobe dunking the ball in high school when he was skinny and probably couldnt squat 300 LBS, and yet now that he can squat 400 LBS he's not jumping over Nowitizki's head when he dunks?

vertical leap is about form, timing, and explosion.

i reccomend that after OP trains like i reccomended for the first six weeks, he start to incorporate heavier sets into his program and really work on explosion at the bottom of a rep. i'd also throw in negatives, have him walkking around w/ ankle weights on all day, and have him super setting his truly heavy squats.

also, plz understand that i want OP to go heavy- as heavy as he can go for 25 reps. i'm not advocating putting 135 on the bar and doing 25 reps like a warmup. i want him hitting failure at 25 reps.

whatever.

there's more than one way to grow and get strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, tx, no offense man, but if you're going to support Arnold's book, then you don't really know much about training. His book is not based on science. It's based on Weider [censored]. Anybook that calls for a natural to train with upwards to 50 sets/body part and talks about isolating different parts of the bicep is [censored].

Also, I don't know if Kobe and Jordan squatted as much as guids has been saying, but the NBA players are strong as hell. When I was in high school, I helped run a provincial, senior boys b-ball championship at the Vancouver Grizzlies training facility. I was able to break into their training room and in there, there was a board that listed all their reps for certain lifts. I distinctly remember that most of the guys were strong as hell. Bryon Scott had a 1 rep max for bench press of something like 300 or 400 pounds (pretty sure it was 400).

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, "something like 300 or 400 pounds"

LMAO. yeah, not much margin of error in that statement.

i'm not going to argue about arnolds book.

it's a great book that provides awesome training advice that centers around the correct lifts and principals.

hey [censored]: if i don't know much about training, then tell me why i bench press 440 pounds, weigh 220, have 19 inch arms, deadlift 600, and am in outstanding physical shape cardiovascular wise?

i dont know much about training?

LOL!

go back to the bench rookie.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:37 PM

Tx, kind of disgraceful. No one likes the meathead tone.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:39 PM

TxRedMan,

I'll post pictures. I weight >70 lbs less than you. My total is probably 1/3 of what yours is. But I'd gladly take the 100k challenge than I can get SC's clone to hop higher than you could do in 6 months.

On the topic of the commercial. Obviously, he has something for West Side since he wants to pimp their MO on national TV when a squat isn't a "popular" exercise, much less using bands or chains. FFS, Kobe has a strength coach who is actually good. Applaud it.

I'm not trying to just flame you man. Just move into the 21st century. You can give up on Weider. He won't mind.

Side Note: Ever hear of genetics? There's a reason some people are huge and some aren't. BTW I thought you said you had a horrific ankle injury and told someone to do hack squats instead of deadlifts, but you can pull ~600 lbs (What is that 300 or so off a world record... At your weight... That would be a nationally ranked lift? I'll look into it.) Please stop with the lies and [censored] man.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I distinctly remember that most of the guys were strong as hell. Bryon Scott had a 1 rep max for bench press of something like 300 or 400 pounds (pretty sure it was 400).

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly how strong is "hell"????

btw- i can bench 440 and i don't consider myself to be one of the strongest guys out there.

i'm much stronger than any untrained individual, but until you're benching 500, you're not blowing my mind.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:41 PM

I still get a huge kick everytime Thremp mentions that he's <150 lbs. lool The avatar and the 'tude are the best parts.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TxRedMan,

I'll post pictures. I weight >70 lbs less than you. My total is probably 1/3 of what yours is. But I'd gladly take the 100k challenge than I can get SC's clone to hop higher than you could do in 6 months.

On the topic of the commercial. Obviously, he has something for West Side since he wants to pimp their MO on national TV when a squat isn't a "popular" exercise, much less using bands or chains. FFS, Kobe has a strength coach who is actually good. Applaud it.

I'm not trying to just flame you man. Just move into the 21st century. You can give up on Weider. He won't mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

arnolds book is a good book. weider is a douche. arnolds book is still a good book.

i'd rather see a newb read arnolds book than advice from someone like palumbo.

whatever.

i'd take you up on that challenge.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still get a huge kick everytime Thremp mentions that he's <150 lbs. lool The avatar and the 'tude are the best parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he was >240 I was wrong. I should correct that. I'm ~170.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:56 PM

Tx, you ever used steroids?
Old 01-31-2007, 08:17 PM

If you want to jump higher, you should practice jumping. There are tons of websites on plyometric exercises that will help you improve your jumping ability.

Losing weight obviously helps, it's easier to jump higher if you weigh less. Increasing leg strength obviously helps. It's easier to jump higher when your leg strength / weight ratio is higher. Explosive/power type movements (cleans, etc) will be the most helpful, although typical strength exercises like squats or leg presses and calf raises would be helpful also.

Don't worry about lifting weights causing you to bulk up. Unless you are over eating, you won't. It is impossible to gain weight by lifting weights. Eating food causes you to gain weight. Lifting weights just sends signals to your muscles that they need to grow/get stronger. If your body has enough protein, calories, and the right hormones to make more muscle it will if you are lifting weights. This is much better than making fat, but your body won't make either and in fact you will lose both if you are eating less calories than you need.

I would recommend that you eat however many calories causes you to maintain your weight, start doing leg workouts (especially calves), and do plyometrics and practice jumping.

You can think of cardio as a negative calorie food. If you eat a donut that has 250 calories and then go run a mile and burn 250 calories, it is exactly the same as if you didn't eat the donut and didn't excercise as far as maintaining weight or looking ripped is concerned (the only difference is that the excercise is good for your heart, but you didn't list that as a goal). If it is easier for you to eat less and not excercise, fine. If it is easier for you to eat more and do cardio, that's fine too. Just make sure your net calories per day are sufficient to meet your goals (gain, lose, or maintain).

What you eat doesn't matter from a weight gain / loss perspective (a calorie is a calorie is a calorie). Of course proper nutrition is better for you, but you can lose/gain the same amount of weight eating chocolate cake or tofu as long as the calories are equal. If you have trouble getting proper nutrition with your reduce calories, consider a multivitamin. Probably not as good as getting the vitamins from food, but better than nothing.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I distinctly remember that most of the guys were strong as hell. Bryon Scott had a 1 rep max for bench press of something like 300 or 400 pounds (pretty sure it was 400).

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly how strong is "hell"????

btw- i can bench 440 and i don't consider myself to be one of the strongest guys out there.

i'm much stronger than any untrained individual, but until you're benching 500, you're not blowing my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was 400. Either way, for a guy who plays 82 bball games a year, does a bunch of endurance training and many practices on top of the 82 games, a 300 pound press (I'm pretty sure it was 400) IS strong. Basketball players aren't training to be powerlifters.