Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 02:24 AM

Default 2/4 HORSE stud/8 - too aggro with 2 small pair?

I'm new at the table, no reads.

HORSE - 7 Card Stud High-Low ($2/$4), Ante $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___brings in
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.00 SB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___folds

5th Street - (3.00 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (6.00 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (9.00 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 5: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (9.00 BB)

I was a bit conflicted all the way through this hand. My hand is soooooo dead, but I keep catching good. Seat 6's board is so scary, but then so is mine and there's 800 dead cards blocking his straight. I have some outs to scoop, but I can easily get scooped myself when someone backs into 2 bigger pair and I inevitably brick the river. On 5th I am betting two small pair and a 3 card low into two all-low boards, but it sort of made sense in my head at the time. And WTF is seat 5 doing on 6th? Should I slow down and take a free card at any point in this hand?
Old 01-30-2007, 02:50 AM

Default Re: 2/4 HORSE stud/8 - too aggro with 2 small pair?

I play it about the same. Maybe take the freebie on sixth, but I think you played it fine.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:59 AM

is it just me or does this river looks like a good place to bet thin.

you have the straight and some flush blockers and you were last to act after they checked it down. i'm neutral about a bet here.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:29 PM

to what end? it is pretty certain seat 6 has a low isnt it? you could also be again a better two pair, I think the check is fine.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:04 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

the problem with betting iseventh is that your board is your board is absolutely terrifying for other lows.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:55 PM

You either want to do something like an early check-raise to thin the field out severely, or you want to keep the pot as small as possible and dump it early to anyone showing much strength if you can't get it heads up. Dead one-way hands can be very expensive in this game, and in my opinion there's just not enough money in the pot on 4th to warrant getting involved unless you can drastically thin out the field. All their boards are troubling on 4th and betting out with your hand as the bringin is a leak. Either check with the intent of check-raising if the last guy bets, or check/fold if it goes bet, call, call.