Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Why can\'t one be proud to be a straight white male

[ QUOTE ]
However, I also see Degen's point that if a college group was formed today with a goal of "white empowerment" that school could expect a visit from Jesse Jackson. I think this is due to the perception that White Men don't need to advance, they already have a huge head start.

[/ QUOTE ]

The other problem is -- and I understand some people are solely interested in being prideful of their own heritage, and certainly harbor no ill will to others -- but one issue with "white empowerment movements" is that the only people currently talking about "white empowerment" just so happen to be the types of people who live in Aryan Nation compounds in Idaho or who blowup federal buildings Oklahoma City. Whether it's fair or not, any "white power" movement probably stands a good chance to get lumped in with those guys.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Why can\'t one be proud to be a white male

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, I suppose you could be proud of being a white male specifically, but what exactly are you celebrating?

[/ QUOTE ]

Building the bulk of Western civilization. That's all.

Pick up any history text from before 1970 and you'll see much about the white male. After that it seems that history 'changed'.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the back of a world which owes much to arabs, asians and africans......
Old 01-31-2007, 11:11 AM

The reason straight white males have left such a legacy in world history is precisely that straight white males don't feel that sitting around being proud to be straight and white and male is really a worthwhile endeavor all by itself.

Let someone else waste their time in meetings telling each other how proud they all should be. You get YOUR straight white male ass to your engineering design class!
Old 01-31-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your analogy doesn't work because there are lots of people who celebrate race, gender and sexuality who are not straight white men.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, I listed what I find pride in... not others.

Second, all of my traits are in the norm and preferred. I haven't been oppressed because of my white skin. I haven't had to overcome gender bias for being male. I didn't have to hide and feel shame because I'm straight. If I had been brought up to feel any of those were shameful and then realized it was okay, I might NOW take pride in those qualities. But since that didn't happen and all those traits were considered normal, I have no reason to now reclaim 'pride' in them.

Does that make sense to you?
Old 01-31-2007, 02:18 PM

quote] [ QUOTE ]
Why can't one be proud to be a straight white male

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't this question imply there's something stopping you from feeling proud about being a white, straight, male?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pride is an ego driven personal flaw. A self acknowledgement that one is better than another.
When pride concerns things over which you have no control it is disturbing.

Synonyms 1. Pride, conceit, self-esteem, egotism, vanity, vainglory imply an unduly favorable idea of one's own appearance, advantages, achievements, etc., and often apply to offensive characteristics. Pride is a lofty and often arrogant assumption of superiority in some respect: Pride must have a fall. Conceit implies an exaggerated estimate of one's own abilities or attainments, together with pride: blinded by conceit. Self-esteem may imply an estimate of oneself that is higher than that held by others: a ridiculous self-esteem. Egotism implies an excessive preoccupation with oneself or with one's own concerns, usually but not always accompanied by pride or conceit: His egotism blinded him to others' difficulties. Vanity implies self-admiration and an excessive desire to be admired by others: His vanity was easily flattered. Vainglory, somewhat literary, implies an inordinate and therefore empty or unjustified pride: puffed up by vainglory. 5. boast.
—Antonyms 1. humility.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:49 PM

you can but thats kinda silly IMO
Old 01-31-2007, 02:54 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is due to the perception that White Men don't need to advance, they already have a huge head start.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you meant to say reality, not perception.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:22 PM

Being proud of an accident of chance is an incredibly foolish thing indeed. See also; Patriotism and the fish on Party Poker who fill their gutshots on the river and proclaim their poker genius.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:33 PM

What have you done with youre life??
ehh...well im a white straight male.

I think that being proud of that means you havent done anything useful ever.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:36 PM

Re: Why can't one be proud to be a straight white male

What's to be proud about? Go drive around in any part of the rural South. You'll find quite a few proud, white, straight males. They're totally happy about it too. Nothing more than that either. They're completely happy with just being white, straight and male. There's nothing interesting about them, BUT, they are white, straight and male.