Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 11:58 AM

Default restoring XP or recovering data from notebook hard drive

I have run into a problem with my Dell Inspiron 9300 notebook, and I know that was a popular computer on these forums and that some of you know orders of magnitude more than I do about these things, so I was hoping to get some advice.

Quick summary:

I cannot boot XP Pro, don’t have an installation disk, and want to recover some data from the drive before trying anything drastic (e.g., reformatting and installing a new OS). Would love advice on restoring XP from Recovery Console or using another PC to recover data from the hard drive.

Verbose version:

Windows XP Pro has become corrupt and won’t boot. It goes just past the “press F3” for setup screen and then becomes a black screen with an error message stating that it cannot start because “hal.dll is missing”. This happened after a couple of crashes, errors (didn't really pay attention to what they were [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]), and reboots. Accessing Setup indicates that all the hardware is present and functioning.

There are some data files (Word, Excel, database, MP3 files, etc.) that I have not backed up that I would absolutely hate to lose, so data recovery is a priority. Most of these are in folders or subfolders within the Desktop, in case that matters.

I don’t have a Windows installation CD because Dell didn’t give me one (they didn’t give them out with some systems). The instructions from Dell suggest using the XP restore feature to fix XP; they offer no advice about what to do if you can’t boot XP to access the restore feature (not sure if Dell has rethought this amazingly stupid policy or not...).

I do, however, have a Windows XP Home installation CD from another computer, and by booting from the Windows XP Home CD, I was able to get to the Recovery Console.

I tried using “bootcfg /rebuild” but got the message “Error: Failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system... use chkdsk to detect any errors”

chkdsk told me “the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems”

dir calls up what looks like the appropriate mix of files.

I checked the boot.ini file and that seems OK.

cd seems to be disabled in Recovery Console so I could not confirm or deny the existence of hal.dll.

I’ve been doing some web searches, and it looks like I can try using the fixmbr, then fixboot, then try bookcfg again in Recovery Console. That may or may not help, but I’m not sure if this could make data recovery more difficult.

I could try to use the Setup feature on the Windows XP Home CD to try to repair the XP Pro system on the computer, but I suspect that won’t work, will destroy data, or both.

I could just try installing Windows XP Home, but I’m almost sure I will lose my data then.

I have another PC available, so perhaps it would be possible for me to use that to recover data directly from the hard drive, but I’m not even sure where to begin with that approach.

Any thoughts about an intelligent course of action? I'm willing to put some time and effort into this, but if it is a lost cause and I should just pay an expert to retrieve my data or accept losing it, I don't want to beat my head against the wall too long before deciding.

You can add me to the ever growing list of fools who don’t back up their data often enough. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2007, 12:31 PM

Default Re: restoring XP or recovering data from notebook hard drive

first off, the restore feature dell is talking about should be able to be accessed during boot. there is usually a message that comes up asking you to hit something like F12 to enter recovery mode or whatever.

secondly, with your disk you want to boot from it like you were going to install XP. Do not initially press R to enter recovery console, but instead choose continue or whatever and then it will detect your XP install. choose that one and then choose Repair, and it will rewrite all of the installation files.

that would be what I would try first. I wouldn't do the Dell one because that will probably just reinstall XP and F your data.

/gold
Old 01-31-2007, 01:23 PM

I'd remove the laptop hard drive, buy a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter that would allow installing the laptop drive in a desktop, set it up as a secondary drive on the desktop (master on secondary IDE channel...prolly where your CD/DVD would be installed).

If the drive is accessible, then just copy files to your desktop drive.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:23 PM

F12 does call up some boot options, but none that sounded like a restore or reinstall. None of the options work, however, including "load last successful version" or whatever that one is.

Do you think the repair will work since I'm using an XP Home CD to repair an XP Pro system?

I may have found a solution to my data recovery issue. This website:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...1-5160538.html

explains how to slave a laptop hard drive to a desktop computer.

So, assuming the hard drive can be removed from the laptop, all I need is a $10 adapter and I might be able to copy off the data I need.

I think I'll give this a try first -- slave the drive, recover data, maybe run some diagnostics, put the drive back in the laptop, and then repair or reinstall the OS.

If I can't take the drive out (I think I read somewhere that some of them can't be taken out), then I guess I'll cross my fingers and try the repair option.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd remove the laptop hard drive, buy a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter that would allow installing the laptop drive in a desktop, set it up as a secondary drive on the desktop (master on secondary IDE channel...prolly where your CD/DVD would be installed).

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] As you were typing that I was just deciding to do it.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:18 PM

yea that will be your best option to recover the data.

and as far as the restoring goes - I didn't read that you had Pro installed but have a Home CD. No, I don't think it will work.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I follow the doctrine of "backup first, trouble-shoot and fix problems later". I've learned the hard way that the few minutes or few dollars it costs to get all the data backed up FIRST seems trivial once the data is gone.

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I follow the doctrine of "backup first, trouble-shoot and fix problems later". I've learned the hard way that the few minutes or few dollars it costs to get all the data backed up FIRST seems trivial once the data is gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 01-31-2007, 04:21 PM

Have you performed a repair install yet?
Old 01-31-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Have you performed a repair install yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

he said he only has a Home disk and he has Pro installed on his machine. this wouldn't work, right?